Let me know about Oregon blue tort

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m considering purchasing a Oregon blue tort. But I’m hesitant because I wonder if it’s as blue as pictures make it to be ? At least twice I purchased a acropora because it was beautiful blue/white or plain blue . But when I get it it’s purple or something else but not blue.
Just last weekend I was at the LFS and they had a Oregon blue tort. And as usual it was significantly green with blue tips and the LFS had the blues on so high that blue was the only color I could see .
So if you have one does it live up to the pictures or does it disappoint?

scott89wing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres mine
6fd24678d64591ff78ef876268fc1ac2.jpg

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a cali/oregon tort a few months back..... It looks just like this picture, and I can't remember exactly what the name was but it looks 100% like a cali/oregon tort....

It's pretty blue. It actually looks less blue under BLUES, but it's pretty bright blue just like the pic during the day or in more daytime lights... the second picture is from my actual tank, you can see the tort on the left of the pic. it's actually more vibrant purple/blue in person.

oregontortbaby.jpg

img_0157-jpg.983383

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oregon tort is the bluest of the blues. It should be pretty much solid true blue. Truly an outstanding coral. Slow grower, but hardy as far as acropora goes.

It originates (as far as I know) from Upscales pet store in oregon. I bought one direct from them around 15 years ago and its the same as the one I have today.

The Cali or ORA tort is/are not the same at all- much more green on the inner parts and the blue is not the same

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely blue, but mine aren’t a deep blue like a Cali tort is. Mine are more like a bright, cyan color. If you want a deep blue, Cali tort is (but it has green in it).

Oregon tort IS a MUST have though...here’s a bad pic
efd2a5c1b6fb4fc81ecb55d2d036eae0.jpg

Last edited:

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of mine. Of course the white balance is way off, it's blue and purple. Frags of it will develop a small amount of green that disappears as the frag grows larger. I don't know exactly whether mine is the Oregon or Cali version... Maybe it's just the Blue Tort of Texas!

Fantastic Coral! Mine actually grows at a good clip and I've had to prune it once already.

IMG_20190112_123307429.jpeg

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oregon tort is the bluest of the blues. It should be pretty much solid true blue. Truly an outstanding coral. Slow grower, but hardy as far as acropora goes.

It originates (as far as I know) from Upscales pet store in oregon. I bought one direct from them around 15 years ago and its the same as the one I have today.

The Cali or ORA tort is/are not the same at all- much more green on the inner parts and the blue is not the same
I couldn't have said it better. Definitely the brightest blue in my tank and I have the mother of pearl and other blue torts and blue acro's.

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx guys .
So what about a frag sold as Oregon blue tort but it is very green with blue tips - fraud or fake ?

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx guys .
So what about a frag sold as Oregon blue tort but it is very green with blue tips - fraud or fake ?

I've had one for about 4 years now and never has it had any green skin, not even as a nub. You might get a couple green polyps in the shade or around the base, but the body is solid blue always. Any green on the body and I would question it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back