Are lettuce sea slug easy to care for?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone moved out of state and he broke down the tank, so I got this guy for free. He's been in my tank for 3 days though. But I'm not sure if he eats specific things or just algae. My tank is relatively new, only has a bunch of dino/cyano and diatoms. Lol

20191010_162318.jpg

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id get some sushi paper from the grocery store and tie it to a small rock and toss a few peices in diff spots of the tank so itll hopefully go to them and eat.

I know this specific species changes color based on the algae it eats. I have heard of them eating zoanthids too i think.

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two species under the term lettuce sea slug/nudibranch (elysia crispata and elysia clarki) it’s hard to tell which one this is looking from the bottom, but both eat almost exclusively briopsis. In tanks with a lot of it and good plant lights they can do really well and even reproduce, but in most cases they die fairly quickly, and if I recall correctly their lifespan isn’t super long to begin with. I had one for several months, ended up having babies in my tank but all of them died off not too long after. Super cool little guys though!

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two species under the term lettuce sea slug/nudibranch (elysia crispata and elysia clarki) it’s hard to tell which one this is looking from the bottom, but both eat almost exclusively briopsis. In tanks with a lot of it and good plant lights they can do really well and even reproduce, but in most cases they die fairly quickly, and if I recall correctly their lifespan isn’t super long to begin with. I had one for several months, ended up having babies in my tank but all of them died off not too long after. Super cool little guys though!
I forgot to add, they’re photosynthetic and get most of their energy from utilizing the chloroplasts in the algae as opposed to from the algae itself, so they do need good algae spectrum lighting

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add, they’re photosynthetic and get most of their energy from utilizing the chloroplasts in the algae as opposed to from the algae itself, so they do need good algae spectrum lighting

Too bad my tank doesn't have bryopsis :( so they're starving then

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back