ReefCleaners.org

Black Stomatella ID Confirmation? And A Mystery

broodc2

Hey all,

Can someone please confirm if this is a black stomotella? Some assurance on their reef compatibility would be appreciated as well. I just saw this thing in my tank and have never seen it before. I also found this one. I have no idea what it is. It looks like a gray speckled snail without a shell. Thanks for the help. Oh and I don't see any kind of white markings on the black one so I'm ruling out a scotus.

14636538887_f4d038d568_o.jpg

14819998011_168eb32dd2_o.jpg

stomatellas are awesome, I just can't tell w/ this one just because I've never seen hairs on the side of my stomatella.

lakshwadeep

They look both like Stomatellas, which are harmless and hopefully will breed to give you a natural CUC population.

PDXJonathan

I've got a couple black stomatellas in my tank. This looks pretty similar to mine. They just had babies so there are a bunch if tiny ones now too!

Amphiprion1

It is Stomatella varia. The interesting part is that the specific name in the binomial (scientific name) actually describes the amazing color variability in this species. Kinda cool in a nerdy taxonomy sort of way :D.

cool! Thanks for the replies. It's kind of jarring at first when you see it. I saw the gray one first. I thought it was one of my trochus snails that somehow "lost his shell." I started looking around the tank... The black one really freaked me out. But they are welcome additions to the CUC and I hope I see them again.

Was at the lfs today and they got a shipment in of coral, a bag came out with the biggest stomatella I have ever seen, almost quarter sized. Had to stare at it for about 5 minutes making sure that was what it was lol

Yeah its funny I saw this thread yesterday an db didn't think anything about it. And today what do you know I have one too!! B-) never have I seen a black one.. But TN it's cool!

But if I see stomas at the lfs I try to get them. They are wonderful cleaners that you usually don't have to see much of. Unlike my cleanup crew.

JavaJacketOC

I have a few stoma's that seemingly just showed up one day and are about the size of a small lima bean...one of them is black and it's one of my favorite hitchhikers.

Archived