The USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TheSubCommander, Feb 26, 2016.

1. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's to one of the best sci fi ship designs, ever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

A beautiful ship

JesterFace and TheSubCommander like this.
  3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I wish that all the NG films had kept the Galaxy class. Even if that meant after they destroyed the 1701-D in GENERATIONS that the 1701-E had been another Galaxy class.

JesterFace and TheSubCommander like this.
  4. TheSubCommander

I think it would have been cool to see a Galaxy variant. Not necessarily a Galaxy-X, but maybe the E-D saucer mounted to an upgraded and different star drive.

Galileo7 likes this.
  5. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    I agree; I love the Galaxy class, indeed.

Me, too. And we're not the only ones. Some years ago, Flux Capacitor did some mockups of the Enterprise-D in First Contact.

Here's are two links with his work:

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/the-photoshop-trek-thread-is-back.33308/page-2#post-906629

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/first-contact-with-the-enterprise-d.132080/page-2#post-4538994

6. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Enterprise-D or Galaxy class in general, best looking starship in any franchise, from both in and outside.

TheSubCommander likes this.
  7. JCDaly

JCDaly Ensign Red Shirt

Mmm I do love this ship too. It's the one I grew up on (even though I had seen some TOS during the same time).

I'm sure this video has been posted on here before, but in a thread like this I can't imagine it doesn't bear repeating. I wouldn't know if it is a completely accurate representation, but when the D comes into view and that familiar music starts playing, I can't help but get the biggest, goofiest grin on my face!

Csalem, TheSubCommander and Galileo7 like this.
  8. TheSubCommander

9. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Shame that we never got to see the captain's yacht being used.

10. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic design and great looking from just about any angle.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Love the original design and model. I hate what they did to it when they introduced the four foot model.

Shikarnov likes this.
  12. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree a great ship.

13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Okie dokie! Moderator

I will admit that, aesthetically, the Enterprise-D isn't really one of my favourite hero ships. But from certain angles, it does look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheSubCommander likes this.
  14. Sybok Was Wrong

Sybok Was Wrong Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree. The exterior Only from certain angles.

The bridge is the best one though, because it was clean, warm, spacious and inviting. It's important to make your main set a place viewers find appealing. That wooden horseshoe was pretty original.

The Enterprise D appears like comfort for a 15 year mission was considered, therefore most realistic.

I've heard it described as a "Holiday Inn" in space. Suppose to be a criticism- but it worked.

Lance likes this.
  15. TheSubCommander

16. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

They were definitely thinking about keeping the E a galaxy class. ILM stuck the letter on, and as late as when they prepared the enhanced Cd soundtrack for first contact, the 'tour' was showing the galaxy class with the Sovereign interiors.
    They had obviously gone with the new design before filming proper kicked off though, because of MSD on set and the spacewalk scenes.....but it is sort of a shame, as that ship was as much part of the identity of the show as the cast.
    And God knows, with the amount of design and work that had gone into it, that model and to am extent, the sets, wouldn't have needed much of a refurbish to be film ready.
    I guess with voyager needing the standing sets space, and wanting to make the films more resemble their Tos counterparts though it was all change. (there were the hybrid uniforms they dropped from generations, and the E itself shares quite a few features with the Connie refit...black cowling on the nacelles and bussard collectors, the wing stanchions, the return to a circular navigation deflector with no immediately discernable emitter. It's a cathedral of a ship.)

The galaxy side on looked pretty good too, very much like it was doing warp 6 even sitting still.
    In some ways, much like Wrath Of Khan took the TOS films back a step technologically and made it more military, the Tng stuff also went back a bit for the films. But not as much.

Galileo7 likes this.
  17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ironically I've been watching DS9 a bit lately and watching a half dozen Galaxy Class on screen at the same time is pretty amazing.

Lance and Galileo7 like this.
  18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I still love it, and thinking about it makes me dislike it's replacement all the more. The D was a grand design. The E always reminds me of a mishapened turtle.

19. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

A magnificently beautiful starship. I always thought of her as like a great giant ocean liner in space. She could certainly kick ass when she needed to. Didn't deserve to go out the way she did in "Generations" and should have had a better send off. Would loved to have seen a bit more of the ship seperating during the season but no matter.

Galileo7 likes this.
  20. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I always thought the E-D looked good from above but the 3/4 view from below never looked too elegant to me.