Gene Simmons Demon Boot shells

decaturvader

Sr Member
For years I had wondered the origins of these shells.
Back somewhere around 1996-1998, I met a guy from Alabama who pettled a lot of merchandise...mostly bootleg videos.

He knew I always had that childhood dream of owning a set of Demon boots and leg scales.

He said he knew a guy who had a real set of demon boots..the guy cast his and made me a set. I am totally ashamed at the price I paid for the quality they are.

I'm not even sure what the heck they are. They are not vacuum formed and they are not resin. They are really hard. They have a pattern on the inside that looks like a fiberglass kit. But, the material is not shredded up and still has that consistant bandage texture.

If these are some sort of "recast", please don't kill me cause I knew no better :angel

well, after a good ten years, the origins of these shells are.....?

comp.jpg

Hi,

Sorry I cannot help you on the origins but I would love to know any history of any Gene Simmons boot shells. I would mostly be interested in the 1970s / early 80s era but any history of any would be of real interest.

Basically what is out there???

Nice shells :)

Chris

They look like mine that came from the original buck with one small difference. The scales around the ankle on yours have already been cut off.

The bucks have them a bit higher. Now in saying that, Gene cut his off so it would be easier to manuver.

I have a feeling they are what you were told.

Pat

Those are third gen (or later) pulls off "creatures" era shells.

Love gun shells have a huge gap between the heels. Creatures and Destroyer are tighter as seen.

They were probably done by a character named Barry Carr, right?

There ya go. What do I win?

Note: Ever since the KISS auctions, more and more shells have shown up. There are more than a few sets of Psycho Circus/Reunion shells out there, too. Aucoin Mgt. paid for the original sculps in the 70's and they are no-more. Bill told me multiple versions were made through the 70's with the final sculpt being Creature sculpts (of that era) because they couldn't find the Destroyer bucks. The same company who made the Destroyer Armor made the Dynasty armor and boots as well as the Elder pieces. It makes sense they would have the Creatures bucks that showed up in between.

So, here's the different shells.

1) Destroyer
2) Love Gun
3) Creatures
4) Reunion Tour/ Psycho ( I believe Chris G. did those and the newer armor)
5) 35th Anniversary Shells are a little different looking to me than anything else I've seen. They may well be the same sculpt as the #4 shells. I haven't paid much attention to those.

Last edited:
The mistake everyone makes with those shells is the originals have no scales in the front and are cut away to make room for the feet to move.

Cut those things out!

Oh. And yours look like fiberglass. Most shells were thermoformed Kydex, but I have owned an original pair of Destroyer shells that were indeed fiberglass lined on the underside of the plastic.

-Rylo

Last edited:
ahhhh. Thank ya much for the input.
When I can budget, I'd like to redo these shells, trim the edges, fill the pits, re-paint, and add some platform boots. I'd like to make the scales, but my wife's sewing machine doesn't have enough strength to poke thru vinyl or leather without busting needles.

The finish looks okay to me. All of Gene's shells looked rough up close. The weld down the nose would get as high as 1" after constant repairs back in the day.

wow, a whole inch? wow.
Well, if I can eventually nail down how to do the legging (scales) then I could make my mind up about redoing the boots at that time.
I've seen pics online how someone made their scales.
It is just a whole bunch of that one scale pattern, repeated a hundred times, stitched to a black backing that zips up the rear.
Do we have a pattern available or general measurements?

I have a girl in Oregon doing a set for me. They should be done in a week or so.

I will post up when they are done. If you like what you see, I can give you her info.

I have a feeling I bought way too much material for the scales so, she should have loads left for 2-3 more sets I bet.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is the piping around the scales, so I am going to try puff paint and see how that holds up.

Yep. The nose almost looked domed by the profile on older pairs.

wow, a whole inch? wow.
Well, if I can eventually nail down how to do the legging (scales) then I could make my mind up about redoing the boots at that time.
I've seen pics online how someone made their scales.
It is just a whole bunch of that one scale pattern, repeated a hundred times, stitched to a black backing that zips up the rear.
Do we have a pattern available or general measurements?

1) Destroyer
2) Love Gun
3) Creatures
5) 35th Anniversary Shells are a little different looking to me than anything else I've seen. They may well be the same sculpt as the #4 shells. I haven't paid much attention to those.

Well that is pretty comprehensive many thanks Rylo - you rock - literally :)

Chris

Those are third gen (or later) pulls off "creatures" era shells.

Love gun shells have a huge gap between the heels. Creatures and Destroyer are tighter as seen.

They were probably done by a character named Barry Carr, right?

There ya go. What do I win?

Note: Ever since the KISS auctions, more and more shells have shown up. There are more than a few sets of Psycho Circus/Reunion shells out there, too. Aucoin Mgt. paid for the original sculps in the 70's and they are no-more. Bill told me multiple versions were made through the 70's with the final sculpt being Creature sculpts (of that era) because they couldn't find the Destroyer bucks. The same company who made the Destroyer Armor made the Dynasty armor and boots as well as the Elder pieces. It makes sense they would have the Creatures bucks that showed up in between.

1) Destroyer
2) Love Gun
3) Creatures

Very good info bud! Thanks!
I don't remember my Alabama bud telling me a name, but Carr does ring a bell. I might have an eBay name on my other pc bookmarked...I'll look and see if I still have it.

I have a girl in Oregon doing a set for me. They should be done in a week or so.

I will post up when they are done. If you like what you see, I can give you her info.

I have a feeling I bought way too much material for the scales so, she should have loads left for 2-3 more sets I bet.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is the piping around the scales, so I am going to try puff paint and see how that holds up.

oh, Rylo gave me the info for a great set of boots for under the shells. They were $189 and a true 7" heel.

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/acc-kiss-demon-boots.html

I wear a size 12 but the Med. fit great. They do run a little big.

I just looked and they are doing Destroyer boots now, but the dragons loook terrible. Might be worth iit if you can fit the shells over though.

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/destroyer-demon-bots.html

Pat

Yeah, I had popped into that site when I was looking at your thread. I just might have to take them up on a pair of boots. Are they comfortable? Slip on, or zip up?

As for the scales, yeah, I wasn't sure about the puffy edge of each scale. I don't have any close-up pics of the scales. The black airbrushing throws me off when I try to examine em in pics.

they zip up. I have been walking around the house in them a few hours a week to practice.

It is alot easier to move than I thought it would be. There are still times when i feel my ankle give, so I guess I will be moving real slow when wearing them.

The 35th Anniversary shells ARE completely different. They are thick cast latex rubber. It is a completely new sculpt that I designed, changing the droopiness of the outside corners of the eyes to give it a meaner look. The sculpt is by Hill Vinot.

2020 and hellllllo RPF! Been a while - place sure looks different! Can't find my old PMs either. lol. Man, even my avatar - wow, that goes back to the days of the big Hack. Wow.

Had to dig up my old thread and supply an update. KISS Replicas set me up with a set of their Demon Boots. Outstanding quality. Enjoy pics.
KISS Replicas Website

Attachments

• dsc_1572.JPG
    dsc_1572.JPG
    604.7 KB · Views: 297
  • dsc_1580.JPG
    dsc_1580.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 272
  • dsc_1581.JPG
    dsc_1581.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 470
  • dsc_1582.JPG
    dsc_1582.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 233
  • dsc_1606.JPG
    dsc_1606.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 650
Here are the sets we made for Gene's recent (2000) tour wearing this style. (early digital pics, so sorry about the quality)
MVC-723S.JPG
MVC-724S.JPG
MVC-729S.JPG

very cool. So, the leggings are actually sewn in and are part of the boots? Neat.
The spines of the boots - are those laces? If so, do they serve a purpose or just decoration?

The boots and leggings as you call them are all "Boot". The scales are leather with sewn on piping and part of the boots, which were made by the same guy who made them originally. When he (sorry I don't recall his name) delivered them, he included an extra pair, which he said he did, because he never wanted to ever have to make them again. Frankly I don't remember why the laces. I think they are to hold the back of the shells closed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back