Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 12:34   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Spacers - from Amazon

I had ordered the spacers from Amazon, and these reached me today. Here's two pics of this:

Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?-spacer1.jpg

Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?-spacer2.jpg

Amazon.com: Superior 18-1901 Donut Style Coil Spring Spacer: Automotive

I had ordered these last month @ $6.87 each - $13.74 for the pair.
(Prices on Amazon seem to fluctuate mildly. Current price is $7.45 each

Initially thought they are too big, but then realised these need to be cut to size (circumference). Installation will be in a week or two, and I will update again as soon as I do it.

Guys, please wait till I update again, will answer any questions posted, along with the update.

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2011 at 10:39. Reason: As per your reported post
Old 6th December 2011, 08:32   #272
BHPian

Re: VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spraying regular soap water prior to installation:
My question is that how does this behave in wet conditions. What is the chance that the spacer may slide off while driving in very wet conditions for prolonged periods of time?
Old 6th December 2011, 08:59   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
My question is that how does this behave in wet conditions. What is the chance that the spacer may slide off while driving in very wet conditions for prolonged periods of time?
I don't think it will slide. I have been running this for a long time now and last week, I just went under the car to see the condition of the spacers and it is still where it was initially installed
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 09:03   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I don't think it will slide. I have been running this for a long time now and last week, I just went under the car to see the condition of the spacers and it is still where it was initially installed
That is very good information to have! Many thanks for checking and confirming the position. I am sold on this and will go purchase this now. I am planning to apply them to the rear suspension as GTO said, but I do have this question. My ANHC scrapes (when fully loaded) as soon as the front wheel crosses the speed breaker. Should I apply them to the bottom of the front suspension too?
Old 6th December 2011, 12:06   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
That is very good information to have! Many thanks for checking and confirming the position. I am sold on this and will go purchase this now. I am planning to apply them to the rear suspension as GTO said, but I do have this question. My ANHC scrapes (when fully loaded) as soon as the front wheel crosses the speed breaker. Should I apply them to the bottom of the front suspension too?
Spacers on the rear will raise BOTH rear and front - of course rear will raise more.

I think you should try rear only at first.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:35   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
One question. Which position have you actually put it? On top, middle or the bottom of the suspension coil as seen in the packaging box diagram.

Whats your opinion on the different position placements and the ride and handling behaviour?
Old 6th December 2011, 13:08   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
One question. Which position have you actually put it? On top, middle or the bottom of the suspension coil as seen in the packaging box diagram.

Whats your opinion on the different position placements and the ride and handling behaviour?
I have mounted it in the centre as shown in the middle diagram. I have not tried the other positions, so cannot comment. If I remember right, there has been some discussion in this very thread on the installation at different positions.
Old 10th December 2011, 18:28   #278
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Just installed it both for front and rear of the baleno. Was really fed up of scraping the bangalore speedbreakers with 4 people.

Post installing, the 186/65R14 wheels looks smaller as the car has risen by about 0.5 inches. The Swift's 185/70 would fit in nicely.

Just drove back the 3 kms back from the garage. I can definitely feel an increase in the driving position height. Since the roads were good, cannot comment on ride quality.

Waiting for a trip with 4 people to hit the usual car-scrappers. Will update after 1 month as a long trip is due month end.
Old 14th December 2011, 18:33   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Got the spacer installed on the Ikon. Wasnt a difficult task. Took about 30 min for the full job.

The mech raised the car with the jack, so that the coil springs do not have much load. Cleaned the coil spring, applied some soap paste, and slid the spacer in. He did not even remove the wheels. It was installed in the upper half, since the lower side has a rubber sheath kind of thing inside the coil spring (see pic).

Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?-ikonspacer1.jpg

Initial impression: Rear feels just a little bit stiff/ raised, but not really much. Could not check if the thud happens, when going a little fast over speed breakers.

Link to pic of the spacers when I got them:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2590043

@GTO, thanks for this.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:59   #280

Brilliant thread, GTO and others!

I have a 2003 (Old) Honda City - while it is a nice little car, from Day One I've had the problem of the rear suspension sagging when loaded, the underbody grating against speed bumps, even with just 4 adults in the car.

Going real slow, approaching at an angle, etc. just don't work, esp with the mountain-like breakers in some parts of Bangalore. So this team-bhp solution of Auto Runner adjusters seemed like a godsend. However, after reading through 10+ pages of this thread, I am more than a little confused (some of the technical advice bounced right over my head!) and not sure what the right solution is...

My OHC has 65k+ km on it, so I suspect the rear suspension can't exactly be in top shape, although the sagging problem existed even when the car/suspension was new. Unsure if spring adjusters will do the trick, or if an entirely new rear suspension is needed, or both? Besides, how do I check the health of the rear suspension? I'd like to have atleast some idea for myself, rather than depend entirely on a mechanic.

Would really appreciate advice on this. Pointers to a reliable garage/mechanic in Bangalore (preferably anyplace near CV Raman Nagar) would also be highly welcome.

Cheers,
Nani
Old 15th February 2012, 23:34   #281
vcx
BHPian

Interesting and good VFM fix, pls. Share thoughts on post 2010 Civic's needing this?
Old 9th April 2012, 12:22   #282
BHPian

I think like many others in here, I (am at Bangalore) too faced with the GC issue on my Honda City ZX 2006 end model. Situation worsens when there are more than 2 passengers in the car and bad road conditions, badly designed humps and dips.

I am wanting to get this Spacers / Adjusters done on my car, just wanted to know
- if anyone has tried on City ZX? If not, will there be anything to be worried about while doing this in Honda City ZX? Also, Just do it on rear coil springs only - not needed on the front?
- Which is better (wrt quality, pricing and shipping) - Autorunner through Darryl OR buying 'Superior Donut style' from Amazon (reference Condor's post above)

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 9th April 2012 at 12:23.
Old 16th April 2012, 18:20   #283

Folks, Darryl seems to be out of the country until mid next month. I called A1 Auto Garage on Mysore Rd (Bangalore) but the guy there is quoting Rs.2500 per piece! Is it just me who feels this is overpriced, or has the price of the coil spring adjuster truly doubled?

Can any of you point me to other dealers/garages in Bangalore who stock the Auto Runner or similar product?

Cheers,
Nani
Old 21st April 2012, 23:37   #284
BHPian

Re: Spacers - from Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I had ordered these last month @ $6.87 each - $13.74 for the pair.
(Prices on Amazon seem to fluctuate mildly. Current price is $7.45 each
The prices are fluctuating as you said, but how much did you eventually shell out including shipping and import duty, their invoice looks like this;

Item(s) Subtotal: $13.30
Shipping & Handling:$19.47
Total Before Tax: $32.77
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:$0.00
Import Fees Deposit:$8.58
-----
Grand Total: $41.35
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:39   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

hi Zulfi,

I did not have to pay shipping or customs because I gave a US shipping address and used Amazon's free super saver shipping option (I included other items in that order so that the billing amt crossed $25). Once it was delivered in US, I had some one bring it over.

But one question for you - are you able to get it shipped to India ? I & couple of other TBHP-ians have tried to give a Bangalore address, but Amazon site says the items (the ones we tried for) cannot be shipped to India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks