Is this RO polishing membrane safe?

KimNotKardashian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all! I’m Kimberly and brand spanking new at this. I’m on well water so I already have an RO system. I decided to just add the dual DI canisters. I noticed these little canisters on top of the RO so I googled one of them it and it says it’s a polishing membrane that helps with the taste.

Does anyone know if these are okay to prepare my water with or if I should circumvent them? IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1536.jpeg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coconut shell filter in my whole house system but not my fish tanks (only because i have never seen coconut filters in such a small form factor). I don't know for certain, but my guess is, that it is fine. That said, where is it in order of your lineup? it should be before your membrane and DI.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all! I’m Kimberly and brand spanking new at this. I’m on well water so I already have an RO system. I decided to just add the dual DI canisters. I noticed these little canisters on top of the RO so I googled one of them it and it says it’s a polishing membrane that helps with the taste.

Does anyone know if these are okay to prepare my water with or if I should circumvent them? IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1536.jpeg
There's several different sources for carbon, one of them being coconut husk. Marketing would lead you to believe it's a finer pore structure, or able to absorb more impurities. I honestly don't know if that's true, but it's not a cause for concern. My system has one as well and I've had multiple ICP tests showing nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley will chime in with his opinion on carbon sources and water filter marketing.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my understanding is that beacuse it's so pure, it will actually leach minerals from your tissues. I have also heard it can give you number 3's... :)... better to run a T elbow off your line ahead of the DI for your drinking water.
we need Mythbusters

OP
OP
KimNotKardashian

KimNotKardashian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always drink DI for a week and report back :)... if you dare! lol
I have a coconut shell filter in my whole house system but not my fish tanks (only because i have never seen coconut filters in such a small form factor). I don't know for certain, but my guess is, that it is fine. That said, where is it in order of your lineup? it should be before your membrane and DI.
It is the very last one in the setup… I think. They are all connected at the end with that thingymeajimiger (technical name). I’m not sure what that connector is for as it has 4 lines connected to it?

I know that I have incredibly hard water. I have a whole house water softener. I bought a new build in the country a few months ago and so they came out and tested the water and put in the RO and softener. They did say some in the area have to have UV because of bacteria but that mine didn’t need it.

Every so often the water turns a little brown when I turn the bath on and I normally don’t worry about it. I am definitely worried about my approaching first tank fill. I’ve recently been trying to research up the possibility of a CO2 issue.

I hooked it up to the bottom three canisters (without the top coconut one) for just a few minutes and I was shook at the TDS.

476. Output through the resin did say 0.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpeg
    IMG_1540.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 19

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the very last one in the setup… I think. They are all connected at the end with that thingymeajimiger (technical name). I’m not sure what that connector is for as it has 4 lines connected to it?

I know that I have incredibly hard water. I have a whole house water softener. I bought a new build in the country a few months ago and so they came out and tested the water and put in the RO and softener. They did say some in the area have to have UV because of bacteria but that mine didn’t need it.

Every so often the water turns a little brown when I turn the bath on and I normally don’t worry about it. I am definitely worried about my approaching first tank fill. I’ve recently been trying to research up the possibility of a CO2 issue.

I hooked it up to the bottom three canisters (without the top coconut one) for just a few minutes and I was shook at the TDS.

476. Output through the resin did say 0.
If your tds is still 476 through a whole house softener and ro membrane, you most likely need a booster pump, as the ro is not functioning optimally. Really, even 476 sounds bad after just the softener. I have very high tds city water (800), and non existence water pressure. Even my ro unit drops it down to 70, and the di brings it to 0.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya.. your TDS after the RO should be in the teens or less... (preferably less)... a particle filter should be first, then the carbon (coconut)... then the RO.. then the DI. The first 2 filters don't change your readable TDS much, but they do take the chlorine and dirt out of the water before it hits and ruins your membrane. the coconut filter after your membrane seems a bit odd to me as the RO should have taken everything out. that said, if your water sits in a (pressure) tank prior to drinking, the coconut filter may be there to "freshen" the taste.

the little 4 line thingy is tricky... you need to look closely at it. it should have arrows or indicators should the flow of water. they are not straight forward... meaning water switches direction in the little box (if that makes sense).

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The device with 4 lines is the Auto Shutoff Valve, it shuts off the incoming water when the outlet from the system is closed. Without it you would be dumping water off the waste side of the RO membrane all the time.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back