IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis for Florida?

Zeeth

We all know that California and Hawaii are prime growing spots for the rare Dypsis from Madagascar. 

However, which species of Dypsis perform well in Florida? We've got the common ones like lutescens, decaryi, leptocheilos. Has anyone had success with some of the rarer ones? 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

See the Searle Brothers Extravaganza Palm Availability List. Any Dypsis you find on it will do well in one of our USDA zones.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

See the Searle Brothers Extravaganza Palm Availability List. Any Dypsis you find on it will do well in one of our USDA zones.

Good thinking!

For convenience sake, I'll post the list here. 

Dypsis albofarinosa, Dypsis ambositrae, Dypsis ampasindavae, Dypsis arenarum, Dypsis basilonga, Dypsis cabadae, Dypsis carlsmithii, Dypsis decaryi, Dypsis decipiens, Dypsis dransfieldii, Dypsis fibrosa, Dypsis heteromorpha, Dypsis hovomantsina, Dypsis lanceolata, Dypsis lantzeana, Dypsis lastelliana, Dypsis lutescens, Dypsis madagascariensis, Dypsis malcomberi, Dypsis mananjarensis, Dypsis minuta, Dypsis mirabilis, Dypsis onilahensis var. 'Weepy Form', Dypsis ovobontsira, Dypsis pilulifera, Dypsis pinnatifrons, Dypsis prestoniana, Dypsis procera, Dypsis psammophila, Dypsis rosea, Dypsis saintelucei, Dypsis scottiana, Dypsis sp. 'Bejoufa', Dypsis sp. 'Jurassic Park', Dypsis sp. 'Mahajanga', Dypsis utilis.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Good thinking!

Dypsis albofarinosa, Dypsis ambositrae, Dypsis ampasindavae, Dypsis arenarum, Dypsis basilonga, Dypsis cabadae, Dypsis carlsmithii, Dypsis decaryi, Dypsis decipiens, Dypsis dransfieldii, Dypsis fibrosa, Dypsis heteromorpha, Dypsis hovomantsina, Dypsis lanceolata, Dypsis lantzeana, Dypsis lastelliana, Dypsis lutescens, Dypsis madagascariensis, Dypsis malcomberi, Dypsis mananjarensis, Dypsis minuta, Dypsis mirabilis, Dypsis onilahensis var. 'Weepy Form', Dypsis ovobontsira, Dypsis pilulifera, Dypsis pinnatifrons, Dypsis prestoniana, Dypsis procera, Dypsis psammophila, Dypsis rosea, Dypsis saintelucei, Dypsis scottiana, Dypsis sp. 'Bejoufa', Dypsis sp. 'Jurassic Park', Dypsis sp. 'Mahajanga', Dypsis utilis.

Keith, I've tried almost of the Dypsis you listed with great success. The only ones I've had issues with in the ground were D procera, D mirabilis & D pinnatfrons. All the others performed well as long as some were planted mounded for drainage. There are still many like D prestoniana & the other big guys that should do well for you.

Edited by palmislandRandy
  • Upvote 3

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Which Dypsis work in dry, sandy Zone 9 (A?) (B?), central FL?  Decipiens died this summer in the heat, humidity and rain (though our rainy season wasn't that wet).  Lutescens burns pretty bad in normal winter but recovers in summer.  There are some decaryi around town, but they don't thrive.  Leptochilios (or is it lastelliana...?) has done alright up next to the house during a zone 10a winter.  But long-term, I'm really skeptical.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

All of the reading I have done and with my little experience, I think that heat, humidity and rain are not the issue for Dypsis species, but drainage is essential to success. Certainly, low temps are an issue but that is what zone pushing is all about.

Just a pre-coffee thought early in the morning....I may change my mind once I am conscious!

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Good thinking!

Keith, I've tried almost of the Dypsis you listed with great success. The only ones I've had issues with in the ground were D procera, D mirabilis & D pinnatfrons. All the others performed well as long as some were planted mounded for drainage. There are still many like D prestoniana & the other big guys that should do well for you.

Thanks for the input! That's nice to hear, some of the ones on the list look awesome in the pictures I've seen. I'll keep this list handy for when I am able to buy my own property in the future. 

Which Dypsis work in dry, sandy Zone 9 (A?) (B?), central FL?  Decipiens died this summer in the heat, humidity and rain (though our rainy season wasn't that wet).  Lutescens burns pretty bad in normal winter but recovers in summer.  There are some decaryi around town, but they don't thrive.  Leptochilios (or is it lastelliana...?) has done alright up next to the house during a zone 10a winter.  But long-term, I'm really skeptical.  

I've got a D. decipiens that seems to do okay with the summer heat. I think John may be right about drainage being the issue with these. I planted mine a little high up on the top of a slope and it seems to not mind it too much. This was it's first summer though, so I'll hold off any definitive comments until later. 

Have you tried D. ambositrae? I've heard it's supposed to be a hardy one. 

Keith 

Dypsis pembana is the best of the best. Mine take heat and sun without blinking. They've faced frost and cold to 28.5F with only minor spotting.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The following species I currently have growing and have performed very well over the years. Some species I have done poorly with but because some customers that come from central and even northern parts of Florida to the sale ask for these and feel they have a better chance trying them.

D. albofarinosa, D. cabadae, D. carlsmithii, D. decaryi, D. heteromorpha, D. hovomantsiana, D. lanceolata, D. lastelliana, D. lutescens, D. madagacariensis, D. manajarensis, D. pilulifera, D. prestoniana, D. psammophila, D. sp. Mahajanga, and D. utilis, D. decaryi x D. leptocheilos, D. leptocheilos, D. canaliculata, D. pembana, D. oropedionis.

As you can see, there's more than enough beautiful, well deserving species to grow in a wide range of areas.

Edited by Jeff Searle
  • Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the list Jeff! The list from Dypsis available at your nursery was already helpful, so now you've double helped! 

Keith 

Thanks for the list Jeff! The list from Dypsis available at your nursery was already helpful, so now you've double helped! 

My pleasure!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

awesome selection Jeff. What do D. canaliculata go for? 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Keith, mine that died didn't suffer from wet feet, it was a high, dry site.   But it began declining from day one and didn't stop until it was completely dead.  I won't do that again.  And I'm concerned with the potential for a 20 degree night taking out any other Dypsis too.  Most winters won't be that cold, but it will happen again. It's one thing to lose a coconut planted as an annual, but it's another thing completely to lose a rare, endangered species.  I'm probably overthinking this!  

Good thinking!

Dypsis albofarinosa, Dypsis ambositrae, Dypsis ampasindavae, Dypsis arenarum, Dypsis basilonga, Dypsis cabadae, Dypsis carlsmithii, Dypsis decaryi, Dypsis decipiens, Dypsis dransfieldii, Dypsis fibrosa, Dypsis heteromorpha, Dypsis hovomantsina, Dypsis lanceolata, Dypsis lantzeana, Dypsis lastelliana, Dypsis , Dypsis madagascariensis, Dypsis malcomberi, Dypsis mananjarensis, Dypsis minuta, Dypsis mirabilis, Dypsis onilahensis var. 'Weepy Form', Dypsis ovobontsira, Dypsis pilulifera, Dypsis pinnatifrons, Dypsis prestoniana, Dypsis procera, Dypsis psammophila, Dypsis rosea, Dypsis saintelucei, Dypsis scottiana, Dypsis sp. 'Bejoufa', Dypsis sp. 'Jurassic Park', Dypsis sp. 'Mahajanga', Dypsis utilis.

Thanks for the input! That's nice to hear, some of the ones on the list look awesome in the pictures I've seen. I'll keep this list handy for when I am able to buy my own property in the future. 

I've got a D. decipiens that seems to do okay with the summer heat. I think John may be right about drainage being the issue with these. I planted mine a little high up on the top of a slope and it seems to not mind it too much. This was it's first summer though, so I'll hold off any definitive comments until later. 

Have you tried D. ambositrae? I've heard it's supposed to be a hardy one. 

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Keith, mine that died didn't suffer from wet feet, it was a high, dry site.   But it began declining from day one and didn't stop until it was completely dead.  I won't do that again.  And I'm concerned with the potential for a 20 degree night taking out any other Dypsis too.  Most winters won't be that cold, but it will happen again. It's one thing to lose a coconut planted as an annual, but it's another thing completely to lose a rare, endangered species.  I'm probably overthinking this!  

Interesting, what was the source? I was told by Christian Faulkner that D. d. does okay if you sprout it from seed so that it's used to Florida weather from day one. Mine was sprouted from seed and hasn't shown any sign of declining yet. 

Also, to avoid confusion. When I said this was it's first summer, I meant in the ground. The palm itself is over 10 years old but was in a pot until then.

Keith 

Jeff, I will keep this list handy.  I do have a decent size pembana to try in the future, though I won't risk it till its too big for the lanai.   

The following species I currently have growing and have performed very well over the years. Some species I have done poorly with but because some customers that come from central and even northern parts of Florida to the sale ask for these and feel they have a better chance trying them.

D. albofarinosa, D. cabadae, D. carlsmithii, D. decaryi, D. heteromorpha, D. hovomantsiana, D. lanceolata, D. lastelliana, D. lutescens, D. madagacariensis, D. manajarensis, D. pilulifera, D. prestoniana, D. psammophila, D. sp. Mahajanga, and D. utilis, D. decaryi x D. leptocheilos, D. leptocheilos, D. canaliculata, D. pembana, D. oropedionis.

As you can see, there's more than enough beautiful, well deserving species to grow in a wide range of areas.

Meg, yours is a real beauty!  But I fear we are at least 5, if not 10 degrees colder than you most winter nights.  So our garden must withstand 20's most winters, and we have frost more than 10 times almost every year.  Unfortunately, it's a real frost hole out here (and we're only 500 yards from good size mango trees!  How annoying!   

pembana is the best of the best. Mine take heat and sun without blinking. They've faced frost and cold to 28.5F with only minor spotting.

Dypsis pembana is the best of the best. Mine take heat and sun without blinking. They've faced frost and cold to 28.5F with only minor spotting.

Meg could we see a pic of yours when you get a minute.

Thanks, Dominic 

• Upvote 1

Meg could we see a pic of yours when you get a minute.

Thanks, Dominic 

Yes, I second that - please Meg :yay:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

The D. plumose has performed well here also.

Img_9148.jpg

Ooo frosty palms! :sick: What other species do you have in this photo?

Edited by Missi
My response showed in quote box

Per request I took the following photos of both my Dypsis pembana

#1 - my largest D.p. I bought it from Jeff Searle as a 3g in spring 2008. It currently has 3 stems and is 15+ feet. Check out the bluish stems and crownshaft. It seeded for the first time this year but they weren't viable. Maybe next year.

Dypsis_pembana_1-01_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.9f

Dypsis_pembana_1-02_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.db

Dypsis_pembana_1-05_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.f0

Dypsis_pembana_1-03_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.74

Dypsis_pembana_1-06_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.ac

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

My second Dypsis pembana I grew from seed and planted on my garden lot in 2012. It has two stems - largest about 10' tall.

Dypsis_pembana_2-01_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.70

Dypsis_pembana_2-02_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.d1

Dypsis_pembana_2-03_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.b1

Dypsis_pembana_2-04_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.7e

In the last photo the D.p. competes with a purple Tababuia. In front to the right is a Beccariophoenix alfredii I grew from seed. To the upper right behind that is my smaller Ravenea rivularis.

One more observation: I am now on my second Dypsis plumosa. My first one grew slowly, languished, then died. I am on my second in a shadier location but so far it can't hold a candle to pembana.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

Dypsis_pembana_1-05_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.f0

Dypsis_pembana_1-03_11-3-15.thumb.JPG.74

:o Gorgeous, gorgeous, perfectly gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to take pics & post them for us Meg! I need this palm in my life. I have a D. cabadae from Ken Johnson that is similar looking. This will be her first winter. She's still working on roots but I have a feeling in the spring she'll take off!

Is that Kerriodoxa elegans behind? How does that do for you?

That is a Livistona but species escapes me at the moment: jenkinsiana? rotundifolia? I have two Kerriodoxia. They must be placed so they are protected from wind and direct sun. They are surprisingly coldhardy, down to the upper 20s I think.

Dypsis cabadae is pretty but much wimpier than pembana. They don't have as much sun- or cold tolerance. I have one in my back yard jungle and one on my garden lot. Lanceolata is even trickier for me. I have one.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

This is a list of what I am growing, some are on the small side but growing great.

Dypsis cabadae

Dypsis carlsmithii

Dypsis decaryi

Dypsis lanceolata

Dypsis lastelliana

Dypsis leptocheilos

Dypsis lutescens

Dypsis madagascariensis

Dypsis pembana

Dypsis pilulifera

Dypsis saintelucei

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Dypsis cabadae is pretty but much wimpier than pembana. They don't have as much sun- or cold tolerance. 

:crying: Oh dear...  

Keith,

Good luck with it. After 3-4 years and it's still alive, I think your good to go.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff! I'll post an updated picture in a few years if it's still alive. This newest leaf is the first one I've noticed with some nice color to it, so I think that's a good sign. 

Keith 

• 2 weeks later...
On November 2, 2015 at 10:14:38 PM, Zeeth said:

Interesting, what was the source? I was told by Christian Faulkner that D. d. does okay if you sprout it from seed so that it's used to Florida weather from day one. Mine was sprouted from seed and hasn't shown any sign of declining yet. 

Also, to avoid confusion. When I said this was it's first summer, I meant in the ground. The palm itself is over 10 years old but was in a pot until then.

Keith, I missed your post.  Mine was raised here in FL but over on the east coast.  I'm bummed it carked.  Will try another species, maybe in spring when I won't have  the winter jitters.  I was just getting into palms in the 80's and those zone busting freezes scarred me for life. 

My third try at Dypsis saintelucei is looking quite happy.  D. carlsmithii still isn't trunking, D. plumosa isn't as big as Tampa Scott's but it's quite healthy and is producing inflorescences, though no seeds yet.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Many have grown well here, we have about 40 Dypsis species in the collection here at Leu Gardens. A few proved to be too tender and died in the winter of 2009-10 but the others did well.

Dypsis pembana has to be one of the best; fairly hardy, very fast grower and just a nice looking palm.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I didn't notice any mention of D. robusta, unless I missed it. I've got a couple nice 3 gals I was thinking of planting out. Has anyone had success with D. robusta? 

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

5 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

This one has been easy for us.

20151118_162147.jpg

20151118_162201.jpg

Nice colors. Which species is it? 

Keith