IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Id

olivier971

An idea for this stunning Dypsis in "Le parc des palmiers" - La Reunion island ?

procera ? lutea ? amboza ? ...

GBPIX_photo_563372.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563374.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563375.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563377.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563378.jpg

Olivier
My Flickr Album
Palmeraie Union Society - Ti-Palm' Society

Hummmmm, why not D amboza ? According to POM, procera and lutea have inflorescences among the leaves ...

Olivier
My Flickr Album

I agree, and rule out D. lutea and D. procera. Never heard of D. amboza though.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Never heard about amboza before this : http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/11768-dypsis-amboza/

I don't know if it's really a species.

But, on this photo on palmpedia, a specimen with inflorescence above the leaves, named as D amboza

Dypsis_amboza2z.jpg

So what this could be ??

Olivier
My Flickr Album

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Olivier

I made some investigation, and I think, it's probably Dypsis procera.

Hi Jean-Pierre

happy to see you on Palm talk :winkie:

Could you explain more the results of your investigation ?

Because, according to POM, procera have inflorescences among the leaves and those have inflorescences above ....

Olivier
My Flickr Album

HI,
I'm agree with you, so according to POM, many "small" Dypsis have inflorescences among the leaves. I think about scottiana, remotiflora, lantzeana, forficifolia... that bloom in my garden. The inflorescences are interfolaire, then the leaf falls because of bad exposure. D. procera is palm of forest undergrowth... the other caracteristics are observed.
I'm sure this not D. lutea.

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/6162/11dlutea.jpg

I can't speak on a procera inflorescence but the overall plants look a LOT like my Dypsis procera. That would be my guess, but Jeff's seen them in the wild, no doubt and my procera came from him so I wouldn't put my guess above his...

• 6 months later...

I'm nearly sure I saw this palm growing in the garden section of the main shade house at Utopia nursery. There is a Dypsis amboza ? spelling ? I've seen it somewhere and the plant in pictutre reminds me of ..of..something I've seen.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oliver, This is what I've been calling D. procera in my garden. All the D. procera I've seen have entire bifid leaves, none of them are pinnate.

There could be a pinnate variation though. This one is in full sun and has always looked terrific. An incredibly beautiful palm.

Tim

post-1300-0-64018000-1377282874_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii