• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jesus is a field commander or a terminator (Weird Billboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on Reddit and mentioned in another thread but I didn't find a thread on it here.

What? I don't even . . .

Why is the "Prince of Peace" pictured with tanks, attack helicopters, and infantry? While saying "I am still in control . . . "

And I-Will-Be-Back? Is he the terminator now?

Apparently this billboard is up in Georgia. You can click on the pic for a massive version.

image-search "jesus the soldier"
jesus+christ+rambo+soldier.jpg

Guevara

It's so weird how people think Jesus would be pro-military.

Especially pro-U.S. military. If anything, we're the modern day Romans.

commedieu

Banned
It's so weird how people think Jesus would be pro-military.

Especially pro-U.S. military. If anything, we're the modern day Romans.

He sure as hell used his arms to throw out the money changers though.

Conan had a great bit once... "Shotgun toting, beer drinking, nascar driving, baby jesus." For Americans. iirc.

I just don't understand the military angle at all. Is this saying the US military is an instrument of Christianity?

Don't you see? It's all coming to pass as Jesus foretold:

Matthew 24: 3-8 said:
As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

And Jesus answered and said to them, “See to it that no one misleads you. “For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. “You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. “For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.“But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

I just don't understand the military angle at all. Is this saying the US military is an instrument of Christianity?

a more radical interpretation:
Where are these vile threats coming from?

Christians.

Wait, that is not accurate. Let me try again.

Self-proclaimed "Christians." Fundamentalist evangelical frauds who cloak themselves in the words of Jesus and the uniform of the American military while lashing out violently against anyone who does not toe the line of their "true faith." The hypocrisy of their activities is beyond appalling, and flies in the face of the Scripture they pervert with every breath they take. Source
Some of the practices mentioned have fallen under scrutiny.

"Are you not entertained?"
-Jesus Christ

This gives me an idea. Remember those troll quote images that had a picture of some famous character, with a quote from some other famous character falsely attributed to another famous character? Like, a picture of Superman with the quote "With great power comes great responsibility --Batman"

Someone should do those for religions.

Not me, though. Too drunk.

I find that billboard highly amusing. If my mom saw this she would agree with this saying, "mmhmmm praise jesus" while holding her hand up high.

So Jesus is coming back to fuck shit up basically?

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Matthew 10:3

My Harper-Colins Study Bible has that passage as Mathew 10:34

10:35 continues:
or I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
(10:36) a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

The footnote describes the sword as :"cutting family ties" -breaking from tradition.

I'm assuming that your not serious and not trying to open a debate on the interpretation, just trying to add some context to a line that is probably misinterpreted often.

I'm looking at Matthew 10:3 and it doesn't say that... I'm sure it's somewhere in the Bible, but you're referencing the wrong verse.

My Harper-Colins Study Bible has that passage as Mathew 10:34

10:35 continues:

The footnote describes the sword as :"cutting family ties" -breaking from tradition.

I'm assuming that your not serious and not trying to open a debate on the interpretation, just trying to add some context to a line that is probably misinterpreted often.

Oops. Wrong verse. As for what the correct interpretation is, who knows. In any case, taking your moral values from the Bible is no better than taking your moral values from Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings if you ask me.

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Matthew 10:3

But this is quote cherry-picking. He also tells his disciples to sheath their swords when the Romans come after him. He has FAR MORE quotes about peace than this single quote (which many view as metaphorical) than about violence.

I think it's trying to say the opposite, though very poorly.

Despite all the war and death and suffering he's still in control, though ironically he's not because apparently the billboard makers don't understand the concept of freewill.

A better slogan would probably be "I'm still here, I haven't abandoned you."

I was looking for the ad-agency that designed the billboard but it might have just been done in-house.
I'm not one to hate on typos, but this one is too sloppy.

From their site:
Prophecy:

As we have stated we believe that the Lord Jesus could return soon and encourage everyone to be personally prepared for his return. We believe this view is supported in the Bible through prophecy. We have listed several links to ministries who provide reasonable teaching and discussion on prophetic biblical topics. As you explore prophecy remember there will be some differences of opinion about specific events, but the general flow should be consistent. If anyone tells you they have special knowledge, they should probably be avoided. God makes everything available to everyone in the Bible.

The King is Coming - www.thekingiscoming.org

David Jeremiah, John Hagee, Adrian Rogers all have done extensive studies in prophecy there teaching along with many others can be searched at - www.oneplace.com

As a Christian I'm a little offended, since Jesus was a peaceful man How would never support war and suffering. As an American, I respect freedom, so I don't have a problem with the billboard. It's a little tacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom