Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WS2702 Diverted back to YYZ [because of a passenger who claimed to have coronavirus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS2702 Diverted back to YYZ [because of a passenger who claimed to have coronavirus]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards

On February 3rd Westjet WS2702 from YYZ to MBJ was forced to divert back to YYZ today after a passengers claimed to have had Coronavirus and wanted to infect the plane. Other passengers reported the unruly passenger who made the claim was videotaping himself at the time. The flight was just over 2 hours from Toronto and the pilot was forced to return the plane around and fly back to YYZ. Peel police met the plane and the passenger was removed. Westjet crew onboard announced they were looking for anyone seated around the passenger to give their statements to the police. Passengers were given hotel accomodation and the new flight WS4100 scheduled to resume on February 4th.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:36 pm

Why not land in the States? Would also get a stiffer sentence for the unruly pax I think...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards
Because of the possible coronavirus 'claim' they wouldn't be allowed to land. Westjet directed the pilot back to YYZ. They were on the ground onboard the aircraft for almost an hour before they were put into busses to be brought back to the terminal.Peel police have arrested a man for mischief after he reportedly told a plane full of people bound for Jamaica that he had coronavirus, forcing it to return to Toronto.

The WestJet flight, headed to Montego Bay,, departed Toronto around 10 a.m. and was about halfway there when the man stood up and told crew and passengers he had coronavirus.

The pilot radioed back and returned the flight to Toronto Pearson Airport. The plane landed at around 2:10 p.m. where the suspect was arrested.

The 29-year-old from Thornhill has since been charged with mischief. He will appear in court on March 9 in Brampton.
WestJet apologized to the 243 passengers affected by “this unfortunate situation.” They added the plane crew followed all protocols for infectious disease on board, including sequestering the man.

Peel police say they believe the incident was a prank and WestJet said the claim the man has coronavirus was “unfounded.”

Last edited by brewster; Feb 3, 2020 at 6:16 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:33 pm

It always boggles my mind how some people's idiotic senses of humor get the best of them. Hope this person is named and shamed.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Hope this person is named and shamed.
How about fined and forced to pay the damages incurred by the fellow passengers from losing a day of their trip/wasting 4 hours in the air to go nowhere, plus the costs incurred by the airline for diverting the flight.
brewster, wrp96 and mjmqm like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA, AS
He should be forcibly quarantined for 14 days in isolation (for the Corona Virus he claims to have) before being remanded to the authorities for possible (likely) prosecution. The airline should also put him on their No Fly list for 5-10 years in addition to demanding repayment for diversion costs if he was faking. Stiffer penalties if he was not faking and knew he had Corona Virus and attempted to infect everyone on the plane.
YYCCL3, brewster, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
How about fined and forced to pay the damages incurred by the fellow passengers from losing a day of their trip/wasting 4 hours in the air to go nowhere, plus the costs incurred by the airline for diverting the flight.
It's unlikely someone this stupid has the financial resources to come up with such sums. If they do have a decent paying job now, they won't have it for long after word gets out.
brewster likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
There should be a holding cell on large planes for people like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:38 am

The flight was diverted because of an unruly passenger, not because of coronavirus. The thread title is incorrect.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hopefully either OP or the Mods will change the title which causes entirely needless angst.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
It always boggles my mind how some people's idiotic senses of humor get the best of them. Hope this person is named and shamed.
Passenger has been named and shamed. Now let the civil suits begin.

I know he doesn't have two cents to rub together (occupation: "aspiring rapper") but still ...

Agree he should be quarantined just to be sure though. Six months out to do it.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
The interview he gave speaks for itself

Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by colombianbrew

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zahkxxak3tU
"Seemed to me like this was in poor taste, in retrospect" (from the guy that did it)

Genius-level reasoning, here
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
In what people now regard as less enlightened times, we would have the stocks in the town square and we would have been able to throw fruit at him. My go-to is canned pineapple (still in the can).
Symmetre likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by colombianbrew
ACTUALLY, per the video it seems he may have just said "your attention please. I just came from Wuhan province".

Very different than making an actual threat saying he has "xyz virus". The passengers chose to hear that as a threat,. I think the crew over-reacted. They could have just told people we apologize for the outburst. What if the guy had a medical condition (Tourette's, etc)

I Had he been telling the truth, he could have been excited to have left in time. Or just telling us where he traveled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.