• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tone Hole Construction

smyith

Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
Silver level trusted reviewer
anyone have any good information on how "tone holes" are constructed? i have the basic idea but im not sure what material to use and how to connect it.

Tone_Pole_800x600.jpg

I'm glad to hear someone from the great state of IL is interested in using the wonderfull and cheap targets known as tone poles. The best ones I know of are here at my home course of the redwood curtain. They were made by a fellow named Chainsaw. They have a wood base with a top made from an old fire extingusher with the top cut off and fliped upside down. Then I belive he is using a lag bolt and a washer to conect the fire extingusher to the wood pole base. Thier sound is unmatched. Of course I have seen many other ones, these are just the best.

Here is a good picture of one. I think the there is a piece of wood across the inside of the bell near the top. I am not exactly sure how it is attached to the top of the pole. Balanced somehow? :confused:

attachment.php

Attachments

• TonePole.jpg
    TonePole.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 308
I'm glad to hear someone from the great state of IL

LOL! you must not know much about our great corrupt state of IL. lol

so some of these have bells on them? im curious if they are loud enough to hear from a couple hundred feet.

The blue part that you hit (the target) is the "bell". It is thin metal that makes a distinct noise when a disc hits it. There are no bells attached.

LOL! you must not know much about our great corrupt state of IL. lol

so some of these have bells on them? im curious if they are loud enough to hear from a couple hundred feet.

O I know. I've got lots of family and frends from back there. I'm just happy to see such a west coast trend like tonepoles makeing it out to other states. Most tonepoles are loud enough to hear from the tee. The type I told you how to make you could hear from quite a long distance. They make a loud gong noise that is very satisfying when you hit it.

I have yet to play a tone pole course; in fact, I don't think we have any in WI, but there are numerous object courses (still haven't played one of those, either). I'd rather throw my plastic at something smooth and resonant like those poles than a tree...I hit enough of those unintentionally!

I have yet to play a tone pole course; in fact, I don't think we have any in WI, but there are numerous object courses (still haven't played one of those, either). I'd rather throw my plastic at something smooth and resonant like those poles than a tree...I hit enough of those unintentionally!

Tone poles are alot of fun, but realy I haven't seen any off of the west coast. Good ones are realy satisfying.

Nope. Alaska. Every target is a keg, apparently. A lot of the photos of this course also show campfire remnants near many of the holes...sounds like good times up there!

... I am not exactly sure how it is attached to the top of the pole. Balanced somehow? :confused:

attachment.php

You can see the head of the screw on the side of the "Tone". On the other side there's probably a nut. It's pinned through the pipe.
DSCJNKY

anyone know what kind of metal that is above?

The pole in the picture is no longer at the course, so I can't just go look. I want to say it is aluminum but I could be wrong.

Smyith: get in touch with Dave Tiffany; who designed the Marshfield, Wisconsin courses; North Wood County Park, South Wood County Park, Braehm Park, etc.; I assume there is some contact info somewhere on those courses. Braehm Park originally had the "official" tone poles. Those have a most satisfying ring and could definitely be heard from the tee. I even payed out an ace on one of those. I bet Dave has those set up on some private course; I need to give him a call too. :) The ones that used to be at the Chico California course, as well as a couple other Cali courses I played, were more home made and had a tinny sound; but were still nice. I have said before, I think the target area of tone poles is just as tough/or very nearly so, as a disc basket.

Nope. Alaska. Every target is a keg, apparently. A lot of the photos of this course also show campfire remnants near many of the holes...sounds like good times up there!

I have actually played that course when I was in Alaska....it was nothin to write home about....crazy lines through solid brush and you needed a compass to find your way around. It was not enjoyable....I gave up after 12 holes

We have started using a new tone pole system which is just nuts.

pound a piece of rebar into the ground, slope a length of fence pole over and add cap....they are super scary to put on as they are really small.

We have started using them on our established courses to create secret, members only alternate courses.

Latest posts