• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need help making a bamboo tone pole.

that looks pretty awesome. i never knew these existed until this thread. i want one.

To cut the tires use a sawzall or jigsaw. If I were doing this(which I might) I would heat temper the bamboo. This would make it stronger and you would not have to go through the whole soaking process.

What you do is take your fresh cut green bamboo. Get a small torch from Lowes/Home Depot and heat it. Use the torch much like a paintbrush. You want to go from green to light brown, let then sit a day then heat from light brow to dark brown. Once dark brown they are cured and much much stronger then they were when they were green.

Soaking over and over can increase your chances of the bamboo cracking and takes much longer to complete the project. Another reason you want to heat the bamboo is because once it's heated you will be a much better "hollow" sound when they are hit which is the object of this project anyways.

I coated it in Polyurethane tonight.
The next baskets will have less wood a(and be closer to regular sized)

Don't be discouraged if your finish starts coming off after using it for a bit. If you do use bamboo for the next one heat it and you won't need a finish on it. Not that I imagine if would happen often but keep insect spray away from the wood. It will eat right through the poly.

I coated it in Polyurethane tonight.
The next baskets will have less wood a(and be closer to regular sized)

I'm curious as to how the polyurethane is going to affect the sound of the bamboo. How thick or should I say how many coats are you going to apply?

I'm curious as to how the polyurethane is going to affect the sound of the bamboo. How thick or should I say how many coats are you going to apply?

It really shouldn't affect the sound much at all. Poly isn't too thick of a finish depending on the number of coats. If you were to epoxy the it then that could maybe change the sound.

I'm more concerned that the poly finish isn't going to last too long being hit by disc and in the weather. Polyurethane doesn't "soak" into the wood it simply coats the wood and each additional coat sits on top the previous coats where as say a laquer would partially dissolve the previous coat make one layer of finish. With poly every coat you add is it's own layer. The poly will cure hard and become like plastic so when the wood contracts because of moisture the poly will not move with the wood increasing the chances of weak spots in the finish. Odds are the Poly will start to chip at the ends of the bamboo and slowly start to chip all the way up the bamboo.

I did not put polyurethane on the bamboo, only on the top wooden panel and a light coat on the stud holding it up.

Searched keyword "Vietnam"

Today's random act of thread necromancy...

Attachments

• received_691036134739462.jpg
    received_691036134739462.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 26
  • received_585739455324086.jpg
    received_585739455324086.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 23
There is one I have seen in a Disc Golf Magazine from the 2000's made in Hawaii when actual baskets were hard to find on the island, due to shipping price of moving them back from USA companies that had the ones made for the main companies shipped there or with Gateway made in USA.
haw.jpg

This is a few years early of the ones I saw in a Disc golf/Disc magazine, in 2006, but really close.

Last edited:

Latest posts