• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fire extinguisher tone pole

BCDan

Par Member
I built some fire extinguisher tone poles (tonal targets) for the Dawson Creek Disc Golf Course. Fire extinguishers were free, and no digging was required, as I used eco spikes. These were actually cheaper and easier to make than the PVC pipe targets I had placed in the fall of last year.

Video of a putt, and how it sounds.
https://youtu.be/LgeQ_hIsmAc

• 4x4 treated fence post 52 inches long
  • Eco-Spike for fence posts
  • fire extinguisher 20lb. 20 inch long.
  • 3/8th inch bolt and washer
  • coat of spray paint if needed
Here are some pics and video.

Attachments

• tonepole.jpg
    tonepole.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 265
  • trunktanks.jpg
    trunktanks.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 189
  • ecospike2.jpg
    ecospike2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 189
Looks similar to the oxygen tanks we use as shooting targets at the farm. They are suspended with the bottom sawn off- I did repurpose a couple as tone poles while I was experimenting with holes out there- they worked well.

Some more photos. Eco-Spikes are really great way to quickly put some tee signs and targets in the ground quickly. Taking them out and re-using them again is fairly easy too; you just need a strong shovel or pry bar, and a large rock as a fulcrum. At the same time though, these are fairly resistant to vandalism; some vandals have already failed to kick one over and remove a target.

Attachments

• 38thbolt.jpg
    38thbolt.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 134
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 137
  • installecospike.jpg
    installecospike.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 158
Nice job, you're good to go. Great way to get a course in quick on a budget.

Even if a guy planned to put in baskets, but needed to tweak things before they settled on the final design, this looks like a good way to start that process on the cheap.

Nice job, you're good to go. Great way to get a course in quick on a budget.

Even if a guy planned to put in baskets, but needed to tweak things before they settled on the final design, this looks like a good way to start that process on the cheap.

Yep, $16 for each target, that is if you have all the tools already. I didn't have all the tools though... but sledge hammer and drill will be useful in other home projects too.

plan is to get baskets, but the tonal targets are a good way to raise awareness and get a few people playing right away.

Also, easy to move. I've already moved 2 holes after realizing some shots might go onto the road too frequently if not re-located.

Looks great! Not quite as satisfying a "dong!" as Horning's semi rims, but loads better than plastic buckets or coffee cans.
Once again it looks like fate will keep me from making a BC trip to play several courses when I get back to PDX in a few weeks---boss wants me early to my firebase, as the lack of snow has everyone jumpy. Maybe by the time I get north this fall you'll have real baskets!

Looks great! Not quite as satisfying a "dong!" as Horning's semi rims, but loads better than plastic buckets or coffee cans.
Once again it looks like fate will keep me from making a BC trip to play several courses when I get back to PDX in a few weeks---boss wants me early to my firebase, as the lack of snow has everyone jumpy. Maybe by the time I get north this fall you'll have real baskets!

Maybe I'll add 3 baskets at a time if that is possible.......

A few of the thicker extinguishers sound even better... I'll have to record some more action.

The tonals work out great; a basket's catching sweet spot is 8" by 21", and the top of the catching basket/rim is 32 inches off the ground.

The extinguisher/targets are 7 to 7.25 inches wide x 18 to 19.25 inches long, and the target is about 33.5 inches above the ground. So, when we go to Baskets, I think it'll be an easy adjustment, and maybe easier?

I am finishing up the installation tomorrow... and it's snowing 7 inches this weekend, gah!

These are very cool targets. I would think that they are popular to target practice and can diy easy

These are very cool targets. I would think that they are popular to target practice and can diy easy

Yep, I had a friend cut the extinguishers and drill a hole in the tops, but he said he got 17 done in a little over an hour. I gave him 4 discs in exchange.

DIY was easier than the pvc targets I placed in the fall.

Today, I just finished installing 9 of them. Hardest part was cutting the 6 foot posts down to 52 inches with a hand saw. hehe.

Tools: I just needed a 1/2 wrench/socket to secure the extinguisher to the post, and 3/8th inch socket/wrench to secure to the post into the Eco-Spike fairly easy. Eco-spikes already bolts in place, they just tighten up

Attachments

• ecosmall.jpg
    ecosmall.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 62
  • ecospikesmall.jpg
    ecospikesmall.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 59
When you tighten the extinguisher to the post, do you tighten it really tight or leave it a little loose? I'm looking into tone poles and I thought maybe a rubber spacer between pole and target would give a louder more resonant sound?

When you tighten the extinguisher to the post, do you tighten it really tight or leave it a little loose? I'm looking into tone poles and I thought maybe a rubber spacer between pole and target would give a louder more resonant sound?

And put a rubber spacer between target and bolt too---lets the tone resonate a bit better.

but the dong sound at hornings means you are a loser :thmbdown:, these dong sounds mean your a winner :thmbup:

And put a rubber spacer between target and bolt too---lets the tone resonate a bit better.

I though about it, adding wooden dollar size spacers, so the top of the 4x4 is not right up with the top of the extinguishers. create more of a bell at the top... i'll experiment with that next target i make.

Regarding whether i tighten up the bolt or have it loose....

I have been tightening them up snug so they don't sway. I though of having them loose, so they sway a little bit .... but we have extreme wind up here, and I am afraid the target would possibly sway too much and possible hit the post.

I also thought if it was a little loose, then it would be easier to untighten, or to yank off for vandals.

9af6a4_54c145a531144db9919d8ca4f50cb01a.jpg_srz_p_208_278_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

With hole numbers and 3M reflective strip on top.

Wow, those look great. Outstanding idea and use of material! :hfive:

I though about it, adding wooden dollar size spacers, so the top of the 4x4 is not right up with the top of the extinguishers. create more of a bell at the top... i'll experiment with that next target i make.

Regarding whether i tighten up the bolt or have it loose....

I have been tightening them up snug so they don't sway. I though of having them loose, so they sway a little bit .... but we have extreme wind up here, and I am afraid the target would possibly sway too much and possible hit the post.

I also thought if it was a little loose, then it would be easier to untighten, or to yank off for vandals.

If i wanted to make them sound even louder, and spend the extra money, I might get these fence posts, this way it creates more bell at the top of the extinguisher I think.

42409eeb-7872-4284-a8ff-7a3cc0fcd9e4_400.jpg

I think I'm going to start experimenting with this, we just retired like 20 fire extinguishers and I have 9 holes without baskets for the time being..

Latest posts