myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
a few questions from a newb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LindsayB

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: First Board Reply with quote

Been a while since my last post but I finally got my first board since renting was getting out of hand. It's a used 2010 Fanatic shark - 135l. Got this last week after going to a swap meet and seeing the ancient and overpriced boards available. To offset the price the owners of the shop help set me up with a used rig. I will probably be back for a bigger board to extend my sailing time since they mentioned they will be getting some in.

Have definitely made some progress in the past year with everyones advice. Just got back from a trip to Worldwinds in Corpus Christi (where I sailed on the 2011 Fanatic). Highly recommend people watching at the airport in Houston!!! Texas is a different world. While I didn't have to wear a wetsuit, the price was getting stung by jellyfish. The entire time I was there, the winds were gusting about 40mph so I didn't get the harness lesson in that I had planned. But, I did manage to attempt a few waterstarts, and could sail up and downwind.

If any other newbs are reading this, spend the money on lessons!!! It's hard to fake what you don't know.

CIMG0113.JPG
 Description:
First board
 Filesize:  1.84 MB
 Viewed:  12818 Time(s)

CIMG0113.JPG

dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh around 182, had the Naish Kailua 160, and loved it (but lost it in a stupid mishap). I'm thinking the 140 would be a decent choice at your weight.

One problem is that these boards are quite expensive new, at least at list price. I bought mine used in fair condition, at around half of new price.

The advantage that they have is in being reasonably easy to sail (your skill level as described seems higher than mine), quite tough against abuse, and foot-friendly with the soft deck (not that it makes that much difference if you wear booties). A disadvantage is that they are heavier and slower than some other boards. It is not as good at staying upwind in very light winds as a board with a centerboard, but the twin fin allows you to sail in shallower conditions.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LindsayB wrote:
It's a used 2010 Fanatic shark - 135l
Great choice! Even better that you got to sail it before buying.

Quote:
I will probably be back for a bigger board to extend my sailing time

At 125 lb, the Shark will be plenty big for you very soon. My wife bought a 138 l board about 1 1/2 years ago as her big board; less than a year later, she had improved so much that she's now using a 100 l board as her big board (she's about 130 lb).

Instead of a buying a bigger board, invest more in lessons that help you improve. Corpus Christi is a great spot to take an ABK camp - you can really learn a lot there in a few days. I used to take a few private lessons every year on windsurfing trips, but discovered I learned a lot more in a single ABK camp.

The next ABK camp in Corpus is Nov 3 - Nov 6. You could also consider the camps in Hatteras in October, they are great, too. For more about the ABK camps, here are a few links:
http://abkboardsports.com/comments/show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h87SOFPf0Z4
http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2009/03/best-way-to-improve-your-windsurfing.html
Windshark

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, good choice. This board is stable enough for you to uphaul easily at your weight, youll be able to learn the footstraps and harness lines easily, then jibe.

HOWEVER - since you will likely progress fast, do not be afraid of trying some smaller (still) stuff. When you learn to get in the footstraps and harness the shark will still be fun - but I would say go ahead and try something small and lively.

The general rule of thumb for light guys - you have the ability to be a great jumper and freestyler - so think agressive and lively. Smile

Heavy guys- just get a big sail with a race board and go as fast as you can, because you can. Wink

Avg wieght of 160 to 185 (males) - your screwed, sorry! LOL

www.mariner-sails.com
Mariner Sails Wind and Watersports
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: