Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hi guys.

sorry, freaking out a little bit:

My iPhone 11 Pro, updated to 13.7 last night, today I discover something I haven’t noticed it before and its not dirt or dust....
upper third to the right where the side button is.... I can’t get rid of it.

Any ideas, what is it, will it go away or do I have to go to Apple? Still in warranty but also Apple Care. But I hate that, i had to change my previous Xs as well because of display damage.

Many thanks for your replies guys
5AB12E67-D66E-4F94-8873-48B3371E2DC5.jpeg

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Take it to Apple. Dead pixels can not be fixed and yours appears dead not stuck. Apple will likely change your 11 Pro for either a new one or an Apple refurbished one. Make sure you backup both to iCloud and your Mac before taking it in.

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Thank you both for your answers, very appreciated!

I didn't know pixels could get stuck, what is the difference and how does Apple fix that?

I am still within first year warranty but also got Apple Care. I am, however in a different country than where I bought it. But that shouldn’t matter, right?

I really hate that backup process, especially with eSIMs involved, that was an absolute nightmare last time.

How do I know it would be a new phone and not refurbished? Can I insist on a new one?

Many thanks

Reactions: nateatlarge

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
This is not something which you will get to know suddenly. You have to follow the Apple Care for further queries. It might happen that they will either replace it or fix the defect.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I didn't know pixels could get stuck, what is the difference and how does Apple fix that?

A stuck pixel will generally be of color; red, blue, green, etc. With LCDs they can be unstuck. Not sure that will work for an OLED screen though. A dead pixel is black (like yours) and can not be repaired.

Apple refurbished phones are just like new. New battery and new case. Either way, you'll get a new-like replacement.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Take it to an Apple store.
Be nice!
Claims like that you can't unsee it once you noticed it might work best.

Good luck.

Just be nice, point out there's a cluster of dead pixels and you should get it fixed (unlikely) or replaced (more likely).
Make sure to read up on how to prepare for turning in a phone as they require at least a backup (and some more things, but they'll walk you through those as long as you know PIN codes and AppleID passwords).

Last edited:
Reactions: alpi123

Pirlo87

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
Hello Bro i have same issue and i just noticed it today..even the same spot next to side button. Could you please update what happened with apple store.

Attachments

• 04D0BB5D-3EC4-449D-B2C5-0A0F32C307A5.jpeg
    04D0BB5D-3EC4-449D-B2C5-0A0F32C307A5.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 5,118
Reactions: AppleMango

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hello Bro i have same issue and i just noticed it today..even the same spot next to side button. Could you please update what happened with apple store.
You’ve got to be kidding me!!! That absolutely looks like the same spot.

Did you notice it after update to iOS 13.7?

I haven’t been to the store yet because I wasn’t on leave but I will contact them tomorrow.

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
To add: I just checked my display and compared it to yours with the same page open and yours seems a tiny bit higher but very very close.

Is that really a coincidence....

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I think the limited warranty will take care of it, even if it doesn't. Since you have apple care+, no fees for defects.

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
And what do you guys think is the best solution? A new screen repair or new device? Doesn’t matter at all? Phone is 8 months old + AC+.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
And what do you guys think is the best solution? A new screen repair or new device? Doesn’t matter at all? Phone is 8 months old + AC+.
Just bring it in, you're still under your limited warranty so won't even need your AC+ (as long as there's no visible damage). Depending on if they have replacement screens in stock and on the genius that's servicing you they will either replace your screen or replace the phone. But you can be assured they'll fix it no questions asked (as long as there's no visible damage). I'd personally hope for a refurb because then you basically have a whole new phone (new battery, etc)

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Thank you @bobmans.

Let me ask: are all replacement phones outside of the 14-day return period refurbished phones? So they are not like the ones out of a box with all accessories?

My battery is at 99% and I got it in pristine condition with case and skin and protector on. The only thing I worry if the phone has more damage than just the screen, but I guess that is the wrong conclusion to draw from that.

Pirlo87

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
Wh
To add: I just checked my display and compared it to yours with the same page open and yours seems a tiny bit higher but very very close.

Is that really a coincidence....

I was surprised when i was searching for such issue and saw your photo! as it’s almost identical.

I’m not sure if it’s after software upgrade or not, but i doubt it’s a software issue, it’s hardware i think.

the problem is that i live in a country where no apple stores here, only resellers and authorized service provider, i doubt they will do anything.But i”ll try Anyway.

thanks to share your experience when you go to the store if they will change only the screen or they get you new phone.

Reactions: AppleMango

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hi guys,

a quick update.

Apple Support was contacted by me and they want me to backup and restore iPhone.

I really hate doing that because I always fear something goes wrong and worst part is always restoring the eSIMs for phone and watch.

Should I proceed or go straight to the store? But they might want me to do the same, right...

Pirlo87

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
Hi guys,

a quick update.

Apple Support was contacted by me and they want me to backup and restore iPhone.

I really hate doing that because I always fear something goes wrong and worst part is always restoring the eSIMs for phone and watch.

Should I proceed or go straight to the store? But they might want me to do the same, right...
Apple support asked me to do the same. It’s a nightmare for me doing backup and restore. They also ran a remote diagnostic on my iphone which show a warning in camera sensor also!

I believe the store will ask you to do the same before they check the phone.

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
It's possible it will only get a new screen.
Apple support asked me to do the same. It’s a nightmare for me doing backup and restore. They also ran a remote diagnostic on my iphone which show a warning in camera sensor also!

I believe the store will ask you to do the same before they check the phone.
? I haven’t done it yet. Not over the weekend when I risk being unavailable and customer service is closed.
I just hate the process and all the eSIM trouble and restoring online banking is the worst...

I can’t believe that would fix anything?

Pirlo87

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
Hello mate , do you have any update on you case? I’m waiting a few more days to check if it’s spreading as i feel it’s getting bigger then i’ll go to authorized service provider after doing my backup.

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hello mate , do you have any update on you case? I’m waiting a few more days to check if it’s spreading as i feel it’s getting bigger then i’ll go to authorized service provider after doing my backup.
Hey,

I haven't done any reset or appointment yet, I did however update to iOS 14. I wonder if that counts as a Reset? The pixel is still there and the reason I am delaying it so far is only, because I am away from home and I didn't want to get into trouble setting up those bloody eSIMs again like the first time. But I will deal with it shortly and I hope I can get back to you with good news!

Mansi Gulati

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
I just recently bought my phone at 16th October from Amazon and has same issue, I don’t even have apple store in my city neither amazon is helping me, the product is out of stock in amazon for replacement. I am afraid what should I do!

Attachments

• BE3C54A7-6AED-42A6-8BCE-B8B68038EDF1.jpeg
    BE3C54A7-6AED-42A6-8BCE-B8B68038EDF1.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 8,303

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hi there!

I have booked an appointment now and will bring the phone in.

I know I have to do a backup, but what happens to the Apple Watch?

Should I unpair the Watch, so it is automatically backed up and then I back up the Phone, bring it in and in case anything goes wrong or they give me a replacement, I can restore Watch and iPhone from those?

Many thanks!

AppleMango

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
I just recently bought my phone at 16th October from Amazon and has same issue, I don’t even have apple store in my city neither amazon is helping me, the product is out of stock in amazon for replacement. I am afraid what should I do!
Sorry to see that. I hope you could do something about it in the meantime? Give us an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.