PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Acura CSX Unveiling

treg50
11-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Here are some pics I took at the unveling of the Acura CSX tonight. It looks a lot better in person. Overall, this car destroys any previous Civic or EL especially in terms of fit, finish, materials, and some design elements. The trunk and doors all solid thick and solid not like vibrating sheet metal & plastic.

I'll have to check it out again without the crowd and take it for a test drive. Looks good so far. Based on the acclaimed New Civic, the CSX should be even better than that.

treg50
11-22-2005, 11:04 PM
CSX pic 2

HoisinSauce
11-22-2005, 11:05 PM
that looks pretty hot

guessboi
^ much nicer than the civic. CSX > Civic

treg50
CSX pic 3

Hash_man
11-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Ya I went to the unveiling tonight too... Really nice looking car. HID's standard, K20 motor, and excellent fit and finish.

IMO much better than the previous EL.

I especially like the paddle shifters on the auto, thats pretty cool to get on a car that costs less than 30k

treg50
11-22-2005, 11:06 PM
CSX pic 4

menace3
11-22-2005, 11:07 PM
they are pretty much the same as the new 2006 civic except civic dont have navi system

JordanLotoski
11-22-2005, 11:12 PM
wow..a civic sedan with leather:rolleyes:

treg50
11-22-2005, 11:18 PM
^ Hey that's a new one ... :rolleyes:

bimmer330
11-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
wow..a civic sedan with leather:rolleyes:

:werd: Never knew they did "enveilings" for Acura civics?

QuasarCav
11-22-2005, 11:24 PM
wow..a 40K civic sedan with leather:rolleyes:

Kind of like a c230??:dunno:

C4S
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Um .. I went to look at the car .. which is nice ..

but somehow .. look not "balanced" .. like a bigger body on a smaller chassis ...

For ~$25K for sure good value! :)

Will the next RSX look like the new civic coupe? :poosie:

lastprodigy
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

:rofl: hah

The changes, albeit subtle, do wonders for the car over the civic!

JordanLotoski
11-22-2005, 11:46 PM
easy...i sold my c230 tonight wooooohooooooo

phreezee
11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I think it looks great! The CSX is no where close to $40k... it's a great value. The new civic itself is great, and the CSX is even nicer. Haters will hate.

Nix87
11-22-2005, 11:56 PM
I just hope that interior styling doesn't find its way into the rest of the acura lineup :barf:

rc2002
11-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Looks like a civic. Doesn't look like Acura tried very hard to be original.

infected
11-23-2005, 12:25 AM
WOW!! Looks so sweet compared to the Civic. :drool:

wagovan
11-23-2005, 12:37 AM
the acura csx is the new civic that was released in Japan.
Their market does not have our 06 civic

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVIC/SP/

cujo_cjc
11-23-2005, 03:10 AM
the only picture i think it looks good in so far is the one in the blue color
i think its the first picture?

i think it would actually look a lot better with the civic sedan rear end! :)

dennisaur
11-23-2005, 03:58 AM
the blue one is hot. comes close to the mugen civic

http://www.mugen-power.com/street/civic/wallpaper/wp03_1024.jpg

EG_Civic
11-23-2005, 08:24 AM
^^ NICE!! but i dont like the interior haha hate digital speedo

4doorj
11-23-2005, 09:51 AM
looks alot better then i thought

dkny_stylez
11-23-2005, 05:35 PM
pretty fugly

Speed_69
11-23-2005, 05:39 PM
i actually really like it...better looking then the new civics

A2VR6
11-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Wow the blue one looks half decent! Still not very impressed but its growing on me.

Xtrema
11-23-2005, 06:55 PM
The side profile need to changed more to distinguish from a Civic.

theken
11-23-2005, 06:59 PM
not impressed

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/5549/thumbdown1117gi.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

not really a big honda fan, it looks a little better then a civic but nothing really to get all pumped up over

benyl
11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Toronto, Ontario - The weather was wet and bleak, pedestrians scurried around under umbrellas, and the air had a wintry bite. It was November in Toronto, and the location for Acura's launch of the all-new CSX sedan. Lined up in front of the Pantages hotel, the small fleet did its best to sparkle in colours like Neutron Blue and Habanero Red Pearl.

The CSX's colour palette is "European inspired," according to Acura, and even though the climate was nothing like the south of France, these new colours added some life to a typical, late-fall Canadian day.

The Galaxy Grey car had its work cut out for it, however

You'd be forgiven for thinking of the exclusive-to-Canada Acura CSX as a four-door version of the sporty RSX coupe. It has the same 2.0-litre engine as the RSX (although it's tuned slightly differently), along with "performance" oriented ride and handling, and a similar front-end design.

The CSX takes over from the EL as Acura's entry to the brand, and like the EL it shares its structure and much of its external bodywork with the Honda Civic. Given the positive reception for the new Civic, this is an excellent place to start.

Rather than making comparisons between the CSX and the Civic, however, let's look at the CSX in its own right.

Designated a luxury, compact sedan, the front-wheel drive CSX arrives in two trim levels, starting at $25,400 for the five-speed manual transmission "Touring" version. Standard equipment at this level includes four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock, 16-inch aluminum wheels, automatic climate control, premium cloth upholstery, six airbags (includes side curtain airbags), drive-by-wire throttle system and a six-speaker audio system with MP3/WMA compatibility.

The $28,100 CSX "Premium" adds leather-trimmed interior with heated front seats, power moonroof, high-intensity discharge headlamps and a six-disc CD changer.

Top-of-the-line at $30,600, the CSX "Premium with Navi" package has Bilingual voice recognition, illuminated steering wheel-mounted controls and a single CD player with digital audio card reader to store and playback digital audio files (this replaces the six-disc CD changer).

An extra $1,300 buys you a five-speed automatic with paddle shifters for both the Touring and Premium trim levels.

The CSX's unique grille, fenders and hood successfully establish a family resemblance between it and other Acuras (especially the RSX, TSX and TL), although it seems that Acura still hasn't decided what specific grille it wants to stick with.

This one is quite nice and gives the car a definite Acura "look" from the front at least. The sharply inclined windshield angle contributes the to car's sleek exterior, and at the rear, the taillights are specific to the CSX. Both trim levels feature a finished twin-tip exhaust and turn signals integrated into the rear-view mirrors.

Under the hood, the 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, dual-overhead camshaft engine from the RSX uses intelligent variable valve timing (i-VTEC) to maximize torque and horsepower throughout the engine's operating range. Producing 155 hp at 6,000 rpm, and 139 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm (based on the new SAE rating), these are the same numbers as the RSX, although the torque band has been supplemented in the midrange by the use of a resonator chamber attached to the intake manifold. The engine also features dual counter-rotating balance shafts, and new camshafts. While it's a high-revving engine, owners will appreciate that the recommended fuel is regular grade gasoline. Estimated fuel economy is 8.7/6.4 L/100km city/highway with the manual transmission, and 9.5/6.5 L/100km city/highway with the automatic transmission.

Acura has added metal-look trim accents inside the car, replacing the faux wood available on the EL, to help create its sporty character. The blue-lit, bi-level instrument panel is quite a departure from other vehicles, with the speedometer located just below eye-level and reminiscent of a head-up display. The display is what used to be called "futuristic" in the 20th Century, so maybe its time has come. The big windshield uses large, opposing, windshield wipers specially designed to work well at its extreme angle.

The CSX's sport seats are easily adjusted for rake, travel and height, and when this adjustability is combined with the standard tilt/telescoping steering column, most drivers will find a safe and comfortable initial setting (power seats are not available).

Although not immediately noticeable, the steering wheel is slightly elliptical (361 millimetres horizontal; 351 mm vertical). The idea is to maximize thigh-room between the seat and the base of the steering wheel.

In the rear, seating is available for three adults, with the flat floor contributing to a feeling of roominess not typical in the compact class. The useful 340-litres of trunk space can be supplemented through the split-folding rear seat.

The CSX is loaded with safety features. Standard ABS and multiple airbags I've already mentioned, but the entire structure of the vehicle is designed for enhanced crash protection using Honda/Acura's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure. This technology utilizes the crumple zones between two vehicles to disperse energy away from the passenger area, and combines with high-strength steel beams to resist side intrusion. Additionally, a safety design in the front of the vehicle minimizes pedestrian injury by deforming upon impact.

On the road, the rigid structure of the CSX along with a firm suspension (front MacPherson strut; rear double wishbone) and sharp steering create a driving experience that is quite different from the softer-riding EL it replaces. This vehicle is clearly designed to favour sporty driving, and the car is very competent on the twisty country roads to the southwest of Toronto.

On straight highway stretches, however, you can tell the CSX has electric power assist steering, as it requires continuous fine adjustment to maintain a straight line, compared with a hydraulic system.

The manual transmission shifts quickly and smoothly, but the engine speed tends to hang between gears, making it sound like you're not properly coordinating throttle and clutch. Consequently, I preferred the automatic transmission, which even in fifth gear had decent torque, and which consistently found the right gear without "hunting." The paddle shifters of the "Sport" mode work well enough, but they seem all about image rather than being a legitimate performance upgrade. Indeed, Formula 1 drivers use them, and one supposes that you can make like Jenson Button when the mood strikes. They do look cool behind the steering wheel, but will they get used much? I doubt it.

The money for those paddle shifters could have gone into adjustable lumbar support for the nice Sport seats. That would have been appreciated, because after the initial adjustment for driver height and reach, the somewhat concave seatback didn't supply the lower back support you'd like on a long trip.

My only other complaint is that the massive A-pillars obstruct vision when taking corners. The base of the windshield is extended way in front of the driver, which contributes to the CSX's roomy cabin, low coefficient of drag and good fuel economy. But supporting a roof over such a low A-pillar angle (23.9 degrees from horizontal) means the A-pillars can't be thin. And this means you may have to peer around them when cornering. It's the price you pay for that slick, aerodynamic, shape.

For those who can't leave well enough alone, some nice accessories are available for the CSX. These include 17" wheels, an "intelligent" key fob and upgrades for the already impressive audio system.

Acura was the first luxury division from a Japanese manufacturer, and the EL was one of the first "entry" level vehicles to a luxury brand. Now, many luxury brands have comparatively inexpensive models to entice customers, although there's no budget Infiniti or Lexus at this price point. Competitors may include a Volvo S40 or Audi A3; perhaps a full-load Volkswagen Jetta or a maybe even a base Mini Cooper S. But the CSX gives you a lot of content and genuine sporty character for its low starting price. It's very quiet in the cabin, too – quieter than the EL it replaces -- and you know its resale and reliability will be excellent.

The Acura CSX is built in Alliston, Ontario at the Honda of Canada Manufacturing plant (HCM).

Model: 2006 Acura CSX
Type: Five-passenger luxury compact sedan
Price: $25,400-$31,900
Notable: Built in Canada for Canadian market only. Strong safety content, sporty looks and performance; luxury brand at competitive price.
Available: November, 2006

benyl
11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
First Drive: 2006 Acura CSX

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/06csx.htm

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_3.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_11.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_12.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_7.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_8.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_9.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_4.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_5.jpg

[IMG]http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/acura/csx/06csx_6.jpg[/IMG

69cougar
11-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
looks alot better then i thought

:werd:

Pretty nice for an Acura!

EG_Civic
11-24-2005, 10:34 PM
they have HIDs... there gona look sweet!!

in*10*se
11-28-2005, 12:51 AM
not even hid projectors... what a let down...

i'm so sad...

i prefer the back end of the civic over the csx... the civic led's make it look so much more sleek....
oh well... yay for the new el/csx :clap: :clap:

hampstor
11-28-2005, 01:01 AM
interior shots make it look extremely difficult for those that want to replace the cd player with an aftermarket yet..

oh well it's still a hot lil car

benyl
11-28-2005, 08:20 AM
No kidding, I just noticed that. Unless you get the nav system, you have to get a new trim piece from the cars with nave to put in a Double Din or din system with pocket. Ghey.

iceburns288
11-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Because it is a Civic?:rolleyes:

Goblin
11-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez
pretty fugly

I agree. what a piece..

the lines are disgusting, along with the interior. disgusting.

:barf:

max_boost
11-30-2005, 02:16 AM
It's not bad, but for almost $30k, I think I'll have to take the Sonata and it's 235hp, 8 way power adjustable seats, auto dim mirror, and its long list of standard luxury features :D

01RedDX
11-30-2005, 02:34 AM

max_boost
11-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Too bad the V6 doesn't come in a manual

Just noticed that :thumbsdow

And it doesn't have HID's either. Add those two things and they will own the segment :D

tapout
11-30-2005, 03:32 AM
wow..a civic sedan with leather:rolleyes: :werd: :rofl: :rofl:

TurboMedic
11-30-2005, 10:24 AM
saw one in person.....yuck....went with a friend who was interested, that lasted 5 seconds.....I agree with everyone else, its a Civic in Acura skin, and it doesn't mask that very well....... I don't mind the look of the Civic coupes, but this is just too much "upper car" on too little "lower car"....the proportions don't fit....

benyl
11-30-2005, 11:13 AM
um, people realise that this is the replacement for the EL.

The 1.6EL (1st gen) I think was the best. The look was farther away from being civic than the 1.7EL and this new CSX.

Everyone has always known that these are just civics with leather. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Chandler_Racing
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

:rofl:

I think the new CSX looks good. Atleast much better than the previous EL. I think my dad brought one home, but I didn't get a chance to take a good look at it.

heavyD
11-30-2005, 11:33 AM
155 HP for $30K?:thumbsdow It is what it is, an Acura Civic which is okay as it does have some nice features but the Acura corporate front end treatment is getting a bit old already IMO. And that dash.:barf: It looks like it belongs in a VW Beetle.

The civic coupe is growing on me though. Its definately the nicest Honda design since the S2000.

rc2002
11-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Heh, only available in Canadian market. Apparently Canadians are the only ones stupid enough to pay that kind of money for a car like that.

benyl
11-30-2005, 12:00 PM
We also get the Toyota Echo hatch. hahaha

Funny how canadians get that, but not the R32, the Evo, or any other decent car.

Stupid bumper regulations.

iceburns288
11-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by benyl
We also get the Toyota Echo hatch. hahaha
Oh you lucky bastard :guns:

Funny how canadians get that, but not the R32, the Evo, or any other decent car.

:D :D :D

treg50
11-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Okay, well time to educate people on the Acura 1.7EL. Here's why I appreciate the 1.7EL (I can't speak for the CSX yet). The EL doesn't need defending it 'cause it holds it's own easily, once you do your research and know what you're talking about. ;)

First off, lol, I'd rather drive my Acura 1.7EL/ CSX than a POS Chrysler/Dodge Neon (a.k.a SRT-4; SHIT-4)... :D , now back to something worth talking about, the EL.

The 1.7EL is a luxury compact sedan. It won't win drag races, but I didn't buy it for that reason. Drag races? Who gives a fuck. I'll see you boy-racers at the next red light, lol... and I'll have a lot more gas in my tank as well :rofl:

No other 'luxury' brand makes (or made) a compact sedan. Smart decision by Acura /Honda because the EL sold quite well. It's styling was better than all other cars in it's class (including the Civic, over which it had higher quality interior materials used) if you want compact & luxury in one.

From the 1.7EL to today's 2005 EL, the EL meant tremendous value for the money. I did my research trust me. Styling-wise I find it sexy-luxurious and sleek inside and out. The Premium 1.7 was fully-loaded from the factory for a great price that put the competition to shame. I accepted the relative lack in power for price-point/class leading fuel-economy, a huge list of equipment and lux. features, at a good price that no other car came close to. Power-moonroof, leather-interior, heated seats and heated mirrors (for us Canadians :D), dual-front + dual side-curtain air-bags, 4-wheel disc brakes, Acura/Honda reliability --- again, in 2002 these features were unheard of in the competition.

Oh and fuel prices went up JUST A LITTLE since 2002 didn't they? :clap: Hahaha, geez I love my 1.7EL.

:love:
City 8.0 l/100 km (35 mpg)
Hwy 6.0 l/100 km (47 mpg)

More expensive luxury cars couldn't do these numbers OR match these features. Even similar sized cars at the time couldn't... all probably still can't... (ie. Protege5, Protege sedan, Sentra, Focus, 'Peon' (a.k.a Neon), Corolla, Jetta, etc.) --- trust me I compared and shopped around, lol. Plus they all had ugly ass styling inside AND out compared to the 1.7EL, I think the 1.7EL Premium is a great used car deal especially now that the CSX is out.

I know the world revolves around the 'horsepower to dollar' ratio (lol) for some, but to many that's a stupid reason to denounce a car. That said the price of the CSX also represents it's huge list of equipment and features, not just it's horsepower.

benyl
11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by treg50

No other 'luxury' brand makes (or made) a compact sedan.

how easily one forgets the Infiniti G20.

lastprodigy
11-30-2005, 11:43 PM

how easily one forgets the Infiniti G20.

But for some reason the G20 just didnt compete.

benyl
11-30-2005, 11:43 PM
or the cadillac cimaron which was on the same platform as the Olds Omega

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/1987_Cadillac_Cimarron.jpg

benyl
11-30-2005, 11:44 PM
or what about the Saab 9-2x?

benyl
11-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

But for some reason the G20 just didnt compete.

Yes, but it was made by a luxury brand and was a subcompact. It was a Sentra in Infiniti clothing...

Nix87
12-01-2005, 12:18 AM
The 5spd tranny on the G20 was particulary bad. I thought the styling was attractive tho.

heavyD
12-01-2005, 10:30 AM
The 1.7EL is a luxury compact sedan. It won't win drag races, but I didn't buy it for that reason. Drag races? Who gives a fuck. I'll see you boy-racers at the next red light, lol... and I'll have a lot more gas in my tank as well :rofl:

First of all you obviously don't know the definition of Luxury Sedan. Luxury sedans are roomy 4-doors with a powerful/torquey V6, V8, V12, etc, luxuries such as heated leather, power operated seats, climate control, deluxe audio system, & any other creature comfort available, while maintaining a quite interior devoid of noise. Ride will be soft for cruising yet retain some sportiness for spirited driving with the available power.

The 1.7 EL or CSX or whatever you want to call it is not a real luxury sedan. It is a civic with leather and an upgraded audio system, & an economy car 4-cylinder. It is NOT a luxury sedan. Fuel economy is great and all but is not a prerequisite for a luxury sedan as people that can afford the price of a luxury sedan dont necessarily car about mpg, they are about IMAGE and comfort. To me the image I conjure of a person getting out of a 1.6/1.7 EL or CSX is a person that just spent $30 large on a civic when they could have bought the superior Accord.

If bashing my POS Neon makes you feel better about your leather clad Civic I'm happy for you as I'm not going to start insulting people's vehicles. I never said the CSX was a bad car, just that it is what it is and it is a Civic.

treg50
12-01-2005, 12:51 PM
: P Okay okay. Everyone likes their own car. I like mine, you like yours, they like theirs. It's cool.

I wasn't aware of what you define as a luxury sedan (which isn't a bad definition either), but I did say that it was a "luxury compact sedan". The 1.7 is/was no A4, BMW 3-series, or IS300 definitely not, but it offered a lot of the 'luxury' features of these cars in a compact form with greater fuel economy but with less hp. Who's to say that luxury can't come in a compact form? It challenges the image of what a car with 'luxury' features should look like. It is/was partially that different thinking and concept that appealed to me and others who made the EL sell well.

Like EL the CSX shares parts including the platform with the Civic. However, it is possible to put a luxury package on a base that was originally meant for economy, why not? If anything an original platform is the one thing that could help differentiate the entry-level Acura. Still, I think CSX buyers will be happy with their purchase (at least I predict so).

Benyl: Yup you're right, I was slightly inaccurate with that statement. I guess I considered 'quality and reliability' as a part of 'luxury' which those cars you mentioned didn't really have. Out of those cars you cited, I'd say the EL did the best job of selling and being an actual quality compact luxury sedan --- maybe that will continue with the CSX. Also, the 9-2x seems to be luxury sport hatch-back/small-wagon (lux. Impreza wagon), but I see what you mean.

Genjuro
12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
waaaaaaaaay the fuck nicer than the uglyass civic..
all the 06 civics should be sent to the sun.

benyl
12-01-2005, 02:36 PM

Benyl: Yup you're right, I was slightly inaccurate with that statement. I guess I considered 'quality and reliability' as a part of 'luxury' which those cars you mentioned didn't really have.

Um, combining quality and reliability with luxury does not happen, ever.

Lexus might be the exception. Luxury cars are notorious for be unreliable and very expensive to maintain. Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi, etc... have some of the worst reliability ratings.

Acura isn't really a luxury brand. They are a differentiated brand, but not at the level of Mercedes, BMW, Audi. Lexus is very close, Infiniti is close as well, but Acura is basically a level above honda.

An similar analogy would be like you have Ford = Honda, Mercury = Acura, Lincoln = ??? There is nothing from honda at the moment that fills the luxury space.

I am sure that people will flame me for it, but I have read plenty where people say that Acura isn't quite luxury yet.

Xtrema
12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
An similar analogy would be like you have Ford = Honda, Mercury = Acura, Lincoln = ??? There is nothing from honda at the moment that fills the luxury space.

QFT

Acura wants to be BMW but still a way off.

Lexus is up there with the big boys.

Infiniti is almost there, definitely ahead of Acura.

As long as Acura keep selling RSX/CSX/EL, they'll never be treated as Luxury brand.

bimmer330
12-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

QFT

Acura wants to be BMW but still a way off.

Lexus is up there with the big boys.

Infiniti is almost there, definitely ahead of Acura.

As long as Acura keep selling RSX/CSX/EL, they'll never be treated as Luxury brand.

:werd: :werd: and :werd:
I have never in no way thought of Acura as a luxury brand.
They have gotten better with the RL and the TL. but as long as they have the RSX/CSX/ and even TSX they will never be able to compete with BMW.
Please dont kid yourself, a econobox with leather is NOT a luxury car or a compact luxury car or whatever, it is simply a econobox with leather.
And even if you think the c230 is a 40K civic with leather as someone said, a benz will always have more status then an Acura. Period.

Altezza
12-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Although I believe Acura makes some pretty nice vehicles, I would not consider Acura to be an upscale brand. It is a fill between Honda and the true upscale market; a mid-market brand. Acura tries to emulate an upscale image, but the vehicle, purchasing experience, and overall ownership experience all scream Honda. IMO, a large contributing factor to Acura's success is due to the misconception that the brand is up there with BMW, MB, Lexus, etc..

arian_ma
12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Have you seen the new porsches?
lol

Skyline_Addict
12-02-2005, 12:51 AM
i think this car is really sexy! i would get one if i had money for a luxo winter beater! ;)

HiSpec
12-06-2005, 12:41 AM
to me acura is an entry luxury brand, bascially a branded luxury. of coz its not comparable to BMW, MBenz, Infiniti, and Lexus... its what the content that makes it consider to be luxury, and the leather/heated seats, HID, and Navi does brand Acura to be luxury. But at the same time it is not a luxury CLASS car, because it doesn't have the image or reputation of a true luxury vehicle.

So what category would you place MayBach in? High-end luxury?

To me, its what the consumer market feels to be luxury to be placed in a luxury-class.

its kinda like comparing someone who wears Mexx, Diesel, DKNY or Miss Sixty (for the ladies) to someone who sporst Gucci, LV, Dior, Prada or Armani.

Basically, people who buys Acura just wants to feel good about themself being able to afford a luxurious vehicle.... even though its an entry level.

Would you feel better yourself being able to tell other ppl you drive a BMW 323 (low base BMW model) or a loaded Nissan Maxima 3.5??

benyl
12-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
to me acura is an entry luxury brand, bascially a branded luxury. of coz its not comparable to BMW, MBenz, Infiniti, and Lexus... its what the content that makes it consider to be luxury, and the leather/heated seats, HID, and Navi does brand Acura to be luxury. But at the same time it is not a luxury CLASS car, because it doesn't have the image or reputation of a true luxury vehicle.

Using you example below, a Maxima has all of that. Seats, hid, navi. I do not consider a Maxima a luxury vehicle. Another example is the Toyota Avalon. It is not luxury even though it is nicer than some luxury vehicles.

So what category would you place MayBach in? High-end luxury?

Dude, a MayBach is unattainable for most people. It is beyond luxury.

To me, its what the consumer market feels to be luxury to be placed in a luxury-class.

Luxury is all about high differentiation. Take the Maybach for instance. Do you really think that it costs as much to build as the price of the car? No, not even close. People see value in the brand and are will to pay more of the exclusivity. Same goes with MB, BMW, Audi, etc.

Take the other side, Honda is all about cost leadership. They have the cheapest prices and you get great value for what you pay.

Acura is stuck in the middle. Look at the price of the car. You do not pay a premium to have an Acura. Acuras are affordable for a lot of people. You get great value for what you pay for but at a slightly high price. Acura is only a differentiated brand in North America. Everywhere else in the world, it is still Honda.

its kinda like comparing someone who wears Mexx, Diesel, DKNY or Miss Sixty (for the ladies) to someone who sporst Gucci, LV, Dior, Prada or Armani.

Acura might be Banana Republic, although it is closer to the GAP.

Basically, people who buys Acura just wants to feel good about themself being able to afford a luxurious vehicle.... even though its an entry level.

Explain to me how the Acura TSX is more luxurious than the Honda Accord?

From the last generation, the Accord (6th gen) and the TL(3rd gen) were only different in 2 aspects. 1, the engine was different (25 more horses for the TL) and 2. The TL had an external temperature sensor. Everything else was the Same.

Would you feel better yourself being able to tell other ppl you drive a BMW 323 (low base BMW model) or a loaded Nissan Maxima 3.5??

haha, I would rather have the 323. Have you ever wondered why BMW brought the 320 to Canada? Because people would rather spend $35K on a base base base model BMW than buy an Acura... or a Maxima. The BMW is still nicer... but then again, I am biased.

HiSpec
12-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Using you example below, a Maxima has all of that. Seats, hid, navi. I do not consider a Maxima a luxury vehicle. Another example is the Toyota Avalon. It is not luxury even though it is nicer than some luxury vehicles.

Yeah thats what i meant, there is luxury cars, and luxury branded cars. And Maxima and Avalon falls into the latter category.

Dude, a MayBach is unattainable for most people. It is beyond luxury.

haha what would it be classifed under? Executive class?

Luxury is all about high differentiation. Take the Maybach for instance. Do you really think that it costs as much to build as the price of the car? No, not even close. People see value in the brand and are will to pay more of the exclusivity. Same goes with MB, BMW, Audi, etc.

Honestly, I dont' see BMW, MB, Audi as exclusivity because u see lots on the street. However, MayBach is consider to be exclusivity.

Take the other side, Honda is all about cost leadership. They have the cheapest prices and you get great value for what you pay.

I totally agree with that. Honda is seem to be leaning towards being able to hold the value of their vehicle.

Acura is stuck in the middle. Look at the price of the car. You do not pay a premium to have an Acura. Acuras are affordable for a lot of people. You get great value for what you pay for but at a slightly high price. Acura is only a differentiated brand in North America. Everywhere else in the world, it is still Honda.

Thats why I consider Acura to be an entry-level luxury vehicle. However, its kind of weird that Honda is consider a typical brand in other places in the world. While a Toyota and Nissan are placed slighty above typical brand. Because some of their higher end cars are very comparble to the luxury brand such as BMW, Audi and etc. Take the oversea Toyota's Crown and Nissan's Fuga. Those vehicles have features that are on level with BMW, MBenz, and Audi. While carrying a common consumer brand. So do those cars consider to be luxury cars? But then i'm using an oversea market, so my statement here might not be valid :confused:

Explain to me how the Acura TSX is more luxurious than the Honda Accord?

From the last generation, the Accord (6th gen) and the TL(3rd gen) were only different in 2 aspects. 1, the engine was different (25 more horses for the TL) and 2. The TL had an external temperature sensor. Everything else was the Same.

haha u got me there, can't argue to that. Accord is a better bang-for-bucks then TSX. But then its all in the consumer's ears. Its in most consumer's mind that hearing someone driving a Acura is better then a Honda.

haha, I would rather have the 323. Have you ever wondered why BMW brought the 320 to Canada? Because people would rather spend $35K on a base base base model BMW than buy an Acura... or a Maxima. The BMW is still nicer... but then again, I am biased.

Same here, its better to hear BMW, then Acura. But we all know which costed more and why.

Xtrema
12-06-2005, 02:24 PM

However, its kind of weird that Honda is consider a typical brand in other places in the world. While a Toyota and Nissan are placed slighty above typical brand. Because some of their higher end cars are very comparble to the luxury brand such as BMW, Audi and etc. Take the oversea Toyota's Crown and Nissan's Fuga. Those vehicles have features that are on level with BMW, MBenz, and Audi. While carrying a common consumer brand. So do those cars consider to be luxury cars? But then i'm using an oversea market, so my statement here might not be valid :confused:

BMW/MB has a long history in car making to demand a premium. And has always been considered as luxury brands worldwide.

Toytoa/Nissan/Honda has only been consider luxury in their home market.

But everywhere else, they started their life as cheap knock off vehicles. It wasn't til the 80s that they became a force. To charge more, the Lexus/Acura/Infiniti brand are invented to bring more luxury in.

And so far only Lexus truely succeeded.

treg50
12-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Um, combining quality and reliability with luxury does not happen, ever.

Lexus might be the exception. Luxury cars are notorious for be unreliable and very expensive to maintain. Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi, etc... have some of the worst reliability ratings.

Um, well to me that's the ultimate in luxury. I know it's a hard concept to grasp for the Euro-car fans out there: quality AND reliability AND luxury. I like Euro cars too, but I also like my money and getting a great value for my money.

If I pay a lot of money for a luxury car and I want quality, reliability, and luxury. Lexus is definitely the exception. Lexus is awesome. No more Euro-trash BS, I don't care about your history and your legions of followers and fanboys. Racing history is fine and dandy but it's what's in your showroom and what I take home that counts. They may have dominated before but that was just because they didn't have solid competition like Lexus, even Infiniti, and Acura (back in the pack as they are).

The luxury class of cars is being redefined by Lexus. Slap a Lexus on me any day, as much as I like BMW and Audi even MB, I'll go with Lexus. :drool:

Lexus has once again topped the J.D. Power and Associates UK Customer Satisfaction Study, claiming the 2005 Gold Award for an extraordinary fifth successive year. The luxury car brand scored a total of 848 points out of 1000 in the ownership satisfaction survey, well above the industry average of 786 points.

In addition to topping the rankings for overall satisfaction, Lexus was the industry leader in the Quality/Reliability and Vehicle Appeal categories.

Lexus' outstanding quality and reliability reputation was once again demonstrated with a score of 923 out of 1000 in the Quality/Reliability category.

Lexus also dominated the Vehicle Appeal component of the survey with a score of 870 points out of 1000, well above the industry average of 792 and 26 ahead of second placed BMW.

Link to article (http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/lexus_tops_j.d._power_survey_for_fifth_consecutive_year)

Yes, sadly, many people flock like moths into a flame simply because of the 'name brand.' Forget actual value, who needs value? 'Exclusivity', 'image', etc. all psychological/social hype that european car-makers are milking for all their worth. Personally, I don't care what other people think or say, I'll make up my own mind. 'Image' and 'cache' matter a little, but only so much until intelligence, reason, and the fact that I'm not Bill Gates kicks in.

haha, more of the 'image' & 'hype' over actual quality & value. I'd never take the 323i. It's a shame Honda's so screwed that they can't properly position & commit to the Acura brand (ie. making the Accord so comparable to the TSX - regardless of how much parts they share). In the end though, I'd have to go with an Acura TSX over a 323i. I'm biased too... biased to wanting a lot for what I pay for: quality, reliability, and luxury.