Sansui BA-5000 should i ??

oldenough

A few months ago i got an awesome deal on a Paradigm servo 15 sub ($600 canadian) locally, even more awesome when you take into account no shipping costs and the possible related problems. Anywho the same seller has contacted me to see if i may be interested in a Sansui BA-5000 power amp. I have done the internet searches and found most of what i need to know and my interest is more than peaked. The owner knew i was in the market for a powerful amplifier(300 wpc) but at the time was'nt sure if he wanted to sell this piece. So has anybody here had any experience, or have any knowledge of inherent problems with these amps ? As always thanks for any input. John

Don't know of any peculiarities - not familiar with the model. I see it appears to be a pretty stout amp. If no peculiarities, price would seem to dictate everything. I'd be more inclined to buy something recent if price is high. I don't think I'd pay any more than $300 or so for it. Though seller might have paid alot more for it - at least somebody did way back somewhere - used stuff is everywhere for cheap.

Thanks jeff, The price is sure going to be more than that, he's asking $600 but who knows what he'll end up taking. Going prices seem to be way above that according to a couple of sources, anything from $800-$1800 The most important thing to me is that it is a reliable quality piece, and of course that i do'nt pay too much more than it is worth.

One sold on Ebay recently for $870.00. Read somewhere the thing weighs 108 pounds!

Was their top of the line amp in the mid seventies.

If you could demo the monster prior to buying it I think it would answer most of your questions.

I have a couple of vintage Sansui receivers and they are very well built, good sounding units, for whatever that's worth.

If the price was right I'd certainly grab the thing in a heartbeat.

Question is, what is the right price?

Wish I could be more helpful.

Doesnt matter how much it was when new its what folks are willing to pay. Some of these vintage pieces whether tube or ss are bringing a ton. Pioneer SX 1980 for example or A Marantz 2600 or 2500. Anywhere from 2,000 to 4,500. And these are just receivers. So if it looks good and you like it buy it. Echowars of Audiokarma would be your restorer for vintage ss.

By the way i'll take that sub off your hands if you want your money back!

Thanks guys, im gonna see if i can get it home for a listen over the week-end. Yes, he say's it weighs in over 100lb.

Stormin, i'll keep your very generous offer in mind. Though i think if i was to take you up on it i would have either lost my mind or gone deaf.[:D]

Hey guys, it's a Japanese McIntosh![:)]

I think BA-5000s were actually refered to as such...what a compliment![Y]

Get it...get it now! Don't even stop to think about it. If it's in great condition, ****** it up before someone else does.

post-11084-13819307548476_thumb.jpg

The thing's a monster. They called it that. If it is working condition and can be bought for the amount stated we have a lucky man.

Part of Sansui's "Definition" Series from the mid seventies. Top quality stuff.

Power amp only. Needs a signal from just about anything to make it work.

If I had six extra big ones and it was in front of me it would be a done deal IF it performed.

It's only thirty years old. If it still works I'd expect another thirty out of it.

Hard to hurt them big 'ol power amps. That thing weighs as much as two of my Crown Ps-400s. Heat is the enemy.

Look it over for new paint. Use your nose. If you get to test it, wind it up and sniff it.